Chapter Seventeen

The royal wheelhouse was filled with an awkward silence that threatened to suffocate Elowen. She found herself looking to where her husband sat beside her, silently pleading with him to do something to ease her worries. Aegon laid against her side, playing with the toy dragon as Elowen ran her fingers through his hair. She found comfort in knowing her son was beside her and hadn't been some twisted dream.

"Well isn't this splendid," The King spoke in an attempt to cut through the tense atmosphere. "The whole of our family off to celebration and adventure in the Kingswood."

The carriage shook following the King's words as they drove over a hole in the road. A sharp pain flooded Elowen's senses, causing her hands to fly to her stomach. Viserys leaned forward at the look of pain on his wife's face, taking her hand in his. She squeezed her husband's hand in an attempt to distract from the passing pain.

"I am alright, my love." Elowen whispered, letting go of Viserys' hand though he didn't lean all the way back again. Instead he sat straight, remaining alert in case Elowen needed him.

"Should you be traveling in such condition?" Rhaenyra asked, a hint of concern filling her voice. Guilt flooded the Princess, as she remembered her earlier words. She truly did not wish pain on her Aunt.

"I could not miss the celebration of my miracle's second name day. And besides, the Maester said that being out in nature would do me well." Elowen smiled softly at the princess, hoping her smile would let the teen know she held no ill will towards her. Out of the corner of her eye Elowen noticed movement and turned to her husband, only to see the King sneaking her young son a sip of wine. The Queen's hand shot out, slapping the king's wrist. "Stop it, Viserys! He is too young!"

"A little wine has never hurt anyone." Viserys chuckled.

"You do not know that, he could gain a taste for it."

The King merely shrugged at his wife's concerns, turning to his oldest child. "You should ride out with me today. Join in the chase."

"I'd rather not. Boars squeal like children when they're being slaughtered." As if on cue, Aegon cried out turning towards Elowen and searching for his mother's arms. "I find it discomforting."

"It's a hunt, Rhaenyra," Viserys sighed, wishing his daughter would stop this cold indifference she seemed to hold for her family now. "How would you like to participate?"

Elowen could feel a headache beginning at the argument brewing between the two dragons before her. She lifted Aegon to his feet, balancing him on the cushion as he wrapped his chubby arms around her neck. He mouthed at her cheek, leaving slobbery kisses in his wake. Elowen chuckled at her sweet son, holding him tightly to her side.

"I'm not sure why I must." Rhaenyra argued, rolling her eyes at the display.

"Because you are my daughter, the Princess, and you have duties." The Princess muttered something under her breath in response. "I'm sorry?"

"As I am ceaselessly reminded."

"You wouldn't need to be reminded if you ever attended to them."

"No one's here for me."

"That is untrue, Rhaenyra." Elowen sighed. "Many wish to see their future Queen as much as they wish to celebrate Aegon's name day."

The rest of the journey passed in an awkward silence until the royal carriage arrived on the hunting grounds. Cheering could be heard as the carriage rolled into camp. Nobles followed after the wheelhouse, clapping and waving at the royal family.

The King exited first before turning to help his wife down the steps. Viserys's hand was warm and comforting in Elowen's as she stepped off of the final step. Hazel eyes scanned the crowd of nobles searching for her uncle.

"Hail, hail Aegon the Conqueror-Babe, Second of His Name!" A familiar voice yelled as Elowen's head snapped to her left. There stood Ser Uther Corbray, his long dark hair wild from his journey to the King's Wood.

Viserys's hand slipped from Elowen's, causing her to turn back to him. She beamed as he lifted their son into the air.

"Here's to His Grace on his second name day!" Another lord yelled, causing the crowd to cheer louder.

The King grinned as he lowered his son, holding him with one arm while his other hand pressed against Elowen's lower back. He pressed her forward, leading her towards the large tent set up for the celebration.