Chapter Two

The Noble Families of Westeros had flooded into King's Landing to celebrate the upcoming addition to the Royal Family with a tourney

The Noble Families of Westeros had flooded into King's Landing to celebrate the upcoming addition to the Royal Family with a tourney. And though Elowen was expected to attend and cheer on her husband's nephew, she had abandoned that plan when she had checked up on Aemma that morning and saw the condition she was in. Aemma had clearly begun her labors, as pains struck her body every ten minutes. Elowen spent the morning holding Aemma's hand and holding her up as they walked throughout her chambers.

When a clear stream had flowed down Aemma's leg during a turn around the room, Elowen had called for the Grand Maester and midwives. The cousins had held onto each other tightly as the maester tried to separate them, reminding them of the impropriety.

And as Aemma's pained screams and the midwives' orders to push reached a crescendo, King Viserys entered the room. Elowen ignored the older man in favor of offering Aemma physical and emotional support as she attempted to push a babe from her womb.

"You're doing so good, Aemma. Just a little longer, my dear." Elowen cooed, pushing sweat soaked silver strands out of Aemma's face.

Viserys suddenly appeared at Aemma's bedside, grabbing onto her other hand. "Aemma, I'm here."

"I don't want to do this," Aemma whimpered and cried in pain..

"It's alright." "You can do this Aemma." Both Viserys and Elowen spoke at the same time, hoping to comfort the one they loved.

Weakened by the labor, Aemma became silent as Elowen continued to press a cold cloth to her friend's forehead and whisper encouraging words, hoping to offer some semblance of comfort to her closest friend. She ignored Viserys as he moved away to speak to the Maester, her sole focus resting on Aemma..

"Soon you will hold your babe, Aemma," Elowen whispered. "Just think of that."

"And you shall be Aunt Wen yet again," Aemma slurred, a weak and dazed smile growing on her face.

"Can I do anything else for you, dear cousin?"

"Some water please." Aemma croaked out between parched lips.

With something to do Elowen carefully got up from beside Aemma, making sure not to cause her any discomfort. Turning to the pitcher a servant had brought in, Elowen began to pour water into a goblet. Hearing rustling and footsteps behind her, Elowen glanced over her shoulder. Seeing midwives descending on Aemma, removing all the cushions as the Grand Maester climbed onto the bed. The goblet fell from Elowen's grasp as Aemma's weak body was pulled further down the bed and a pair of King's Guards swarmed Elowen, firmly grasping her upper arms.

"What is happening? Let go of me!" Elowen struggled in the King's Guards' grasps as Aemma began to question what was going on. Elowen's heart broke at her cousin's voice thick with fear.

"No,no,no!" Aemma begged as she spotted the sharp blade in the Grand Maester's hand. "Viserys, no! Please!"

"Aemma!" Elowen yelled, as the blade was lowered to the bottom of Aemma's exposed bump.

"We're making the first incision." The Grand Maester announced.

"No!" "Stop!" Aemma and Elowen's screams fell upon deaf ears as both women struggled against those restraining them. One trying to escape the blade and the other struggling to save her family member.

"What are you doing?! Stop this!" Elowen struggled further as a pop and a burning sensation began in her left shoulder. Though the brunette was numb to the pain, all that filled her mind was the image of Aemma's beautiful face twisted in pain as tears streamed down from her blue eyes. "Stop! You're going to kill her! Please stop!"

Elowen crumbled to the ground as the King's Guard released her and a crying babe was lifted from the gash in Aemma's abdomen. Cries from both the babe and Elowen filled the air as the midwives moved away and Elowen finally got to look at her best friend. Aemma's normally sparkling eyes were now dull as she faced towards where Elowen fell before the blood soaked bed, crying out for her friend.

"Aemma. My sweet Aemma." A shaky hand reached out smoothing down the silver locks out of Aemma's expressionless face. "No. Please come back, please. You can't leave me, you can't. We're meant to return home, you have to go home."

"Congratulations, Your Grace. You have a son." The Queen's murderer spoke cradling one of the last pieces of Aemma left in the world, though Elowen could barely hear through the blood rushing in her ears.

"It's a boy?"

"A new heir, Your Grace. Had you and the Queen chosen a name?"

"Baelon." The King's voice was thick with unshed tears angering Elowen.

She wanted to strike him, to curse the King. But Elowen couldn't bring herself to leave Aemma yet. Maybe she never would. A quiet choking sound filled the room as the babe struggled to breathe.

★・・・・・・★

Elowen had followed Aemma's body, finding herself in a room filled with Silent Sisters. Burning candles filled the room, offering the only light in the otherwise dark space. Aemma rested on a stone table as the Silent Sisters prepared her body. One painted the corpse with a poultice while another followed behind covering the area with a wrapping.

The silence was eerie. Elowen and Aemma had  been scared of the Silent Sisters since they were children, they would tell stories of the Sisters with the goal of frightening each other. And now Elowen faced that fear head on. She refused to leave Aemma alone, to allow her to be by herself.

"My Lady," A voice to Elowen's left spoke, though her eyes remained focused on Aemma. "You may wish to leave the Silent Sisters to their work. It is ill luck to look upon the face of death."

"I have been at Aemma's side since we were children. I swore I would not leave her and I don't intend to break my oath even if I must stare into the Stranger's eyes to do so."

Soft footsteps alerted Elowen to the man's departure, once again leaving her alone to watch over Aemma.

AN: Literally wrote this through tears

-ELE