Epilogue

The sun had long since set over King's Landing, an inky darkness spreading throughout the Red Keep

The sun had long since set over King's Landing, an inky darkness spreading throughout the Red Keep. Flames flickered on the wicks of candles, scattered throughout the Queen Mother's apartments. Elowen, now a weathered old woman, laid in a large bed, her hair now a similar shade of silver as her children. She joked how in her old age she finally looked like their mother.

"Mother?" A voice spoke from beside her.

Elowen's head lulled to the side as she looked to her right. Tired hazel eyes brightened as she took in all her children gathered around her.

"My loves," She sighed a small smile pulling at her lips. "Pieces of my own heart walking outside of my body."

A harsh laugh pushed past Aegon's lips as he struggled to hold back tears causing Elowen to turn to him.

"My miracle," She crooned, lifting a thin hand for her son to take. Aegon stepped forward, taking Elowen's frail hand in his own. She stared at his hand, remembering how small it had been, and how he would cry as soon as she let go. "I'm proud of you."

Tears ran down Aegon's cheeks, as he squeezed his mother's hand. His mouth ran dry in the face of Elowen's sincere words. Alyssa leaned into his side, wrapping her arms around his midsection.

"We all are." Alyssa smiled up at her husband, pinching the soft flesh around his hip.

Aegon had surprised everyone, including himself, after his father's death, choosing to abandon the cup and throw himself into the studies of his youth. Perhaps it was his impending fatherhood or the sight of his younger brother being crowned King, no one knew for certain as Aegon would give a different response each time the topic was brought up.

He, alongside Alyssa, had flourished far away from the Red Keep. Taking on their mother's name and House Corbray's banners as they moved to rule over Heart's Home. The cold granite had never held such warmth then when dragons called it home.

Elowen had journeyed back for the first time in preparation for Alyssa's approaching labors. She had held her daughter's hand as the pains of childbirth racked her body, heart warming as the babe was laid on Alyssa's chest. Aegon had wept as he met his son for the first time, pressing kisses to the newborn's head. Alyssa and Aegon had smiled brightly as the maester asked for the babe's name, beaming as they introduced their mother to Viserys Corbray.

Two years later, when Lord Lyonel had announced his wish to retire to Harrenhal and live out the rest of his days surrounded by his family. Aegon and Alyssa had returned, called back by Aemond. The two eldest Targaryen Princes had met privately, Aegon declared Aemond had begged him to accept the position as Hand. Aemond merely rolled his eye, slapping Aegon on the shoulder as he denied that that had not happened, though a small smile pulled at both brothers' lips.

Elowen had beamed as she welcomed her two children back, the smile growing larger as Alyssa announced her second pregnancy. Grinning as Aesira was introduced to the court.