Chapter Nineteen

 Sunlight streamed through the trees as the sun began its descent from the sky. Hounds barked in the distance as they tried to chase the scent the white hart had left behind. King Viserys and the members of his small council dismounted their horses while lords and knights watched on.

"Your Grace." The royal huntsman greeted his sovereign as Viserys met him in the middle of the small clearing. Though Viserys had no wish to drag this on, he wanted to get this all over with so he could speak to his wife. Viserys would fall to his knees and beg if that is what it took for Elowen to forgive him.

"How far?"

"Her droppings were found half a league to the east." The bald man held his hand out so Viserys might inspect the droppings.

"Still fresh." Viserys felt the weight and texture, and sniffed the item.

"Between two and three hours, Your Grace. My best scout spied him. The beast is upward of 35 stone and we now have his trail."

"Aye." Viserys agreed, pulling his riding glove back on.

"Before the dragons ruled over Westeros, the white hart was a symbol of royalty in these lands."

"Strange how this mystical beast is spied while the Princess roams the woods," Ser Uther spoke causing Viserys to realize he was there. "It is almost as if the gods wish to show their favor."

Viserys merely smiled in thanks as he patted the taller man on the shoulder. He returned to his horse, wishing for nothing more than to see his wife and son. Viserys had never truly believed in the Seven, but he had witnessed Elowen's prayers be answered by the Mother Above. So as his horse carried him back to camp he silently prayed for his daughter to be found and return unharmed.

★・・・・・・★

As the sun set casting the Kingswood into darkness, Viserys took to his wine. He had gone to speak with his wife upon returning from his journey deep into the Kingswood, but her guard had not allowed him entry, stating that the Queen was resting. For the first time in his life, Viserys felt lonely upon his throne. His brother had spoken such ugly things that Viserys had had no choice to banish him. His first wife had died in his desperation for a male heir. His daughter hated him for remarrying and finally siring a son. And now he had frightened his second wife and she refused to see him. The King was utterly alone.

"Your Grace," Jason Lannister spoke, holding a large spear in his hands. "I had this forged in the Golden Gallery in honor of Prince Aegon."

A servant took the weapon from the Lord Paramount and brought it to the Throne for Viserys to inspect. "It's quite a thing."