Chapter Twenty-Eight

The air held a slight chill and smelled wholly of salt as the ship cut through the waves

The air held a slight chill and smelled wholly of salt as the ship cut through the waves. Elowen exited the large cabin containing her sleeping children and husband. She glanced around the deck searching for a head of silver locks. When she didn't see Rhaenyra anywhere, Elowen turned to one of the sets of stairs leading up to the pavilion. As she entered the seating area, she saw Rhaenyra leaning against the bannister staring out across the sparkling water.

Elowen moved to take a step closer to the Princess when the head of silver hair turned to the left. A smile spread across Rhaenyra's lips as she was joined by a man. It only took Elowen a moment to recognize the dark hair and tanned skin. She had only ever seen Ser Criston in his armor and white cloak, to see him dressed simply in a linen shirt was strange.

The Queen didn't mean to listen in on the conversation, at least that's what Elowen attempted to tell herself. In truth she desired whatever information of Rhaenyra's life she could overhear, it had been so long since Elowen had been a trusted ear for the heir.

"Did sleep flee you as well this morning?" Rhaenyra asked her sworn protector.

"I needed to see you, Princess." The knight responded, his voice thick with admiration.

"I confess I had a similar desire."

Elowen's brow furrowed at Rhaenyra's words, she hoped it was meant in jest. That Rhaenyra merely thought of the older man as a friend and companion. As Criston turned slightly to better face the Princess, Elowen pressed herself against the large mast. She peered around the corner, wanting to continue watching.

"You have confided in me now and then over the years of our acquaintance. I feel, forgive me, that I know you a bit." The man who had bested Daemon Targaryen in tourney stuttered as he spoke to Rhaenyra, though she merely smiled at him, urging him on.

"You know more than a bit."

"I've heard you say so many times how you loathe the lot of your position, that you are to be married off at your father's whim with no thought given to the yearning of your own heart, and now the day comes. Ser Laenor is a good and decent man, but you did not choose him.  He was chosen for you."

"That's true."

"If there were another path, one that led to freedom, would you tread it?" Elowen could not believe what she was hearing, was the knight confessing his love to Rhaenyra? Surely if Rhaenyra felt the same she would have said something. Ser Criston was not born from a mighty house, but Elowen and Viserys had both told the girl to search out a man she loved. "Rhaenyra, before I came here I was a knight in the Stormlands. I have deep knowledge of the port at Sunspear where I've seen the ships of Essos setting sail with their hulls full of oranges and cinnamon and I've always wished to see where they went."

"Are you asking for leave?"

"I'm asking you to come with me, away from all of this. From the burdens and indignities of your inheritance." Criston's words grew panicked and frenzied the longer he did not receive his desired response. "Let us leave it all behind and see the world together. Where we'll be nameless and free. Free to go where we like, to love as we like. In Essos you could marry me. A marriage for love, not for the crown."