Chapter Five

With no Queen to serve or duties to attend to, Elowen spent the early hours of her day wandering through the shelves of the Keep's library. Her fingers trailing over the spines of books she had read to Aemma as memories of their first days in the castle's walls filled her mind. They had stumbled upon the library in search of something to pass the days and had been struck by how large and full the rooms were. Shelves stuffed to the brim with books lined the walls and created a maze-like structure in the middle of the room. Aemma had gasped at the number of books collecting dust, pulling Elowen further into the room. Upon seeing the bright smile on her cousin's face, Elowen had sworn they would read every page in that library.

And now that promise was broken.

"Lady Redfort," A voice broke Elowen out of her thoughts. "I was wondering if you might accompany me on a walk?"

Elowen turned to see Princess Rhaenys standing in the doorway of the library. "Of course, your highness," Elowen curtsied, quickly placing the book she had been holding back on the shelf before following after the Princess.

An uneasy feeling filled Elowen as she walked beside the older woman. The two had never really spoken, Elowen preferred to stay at Aemma's side during banquets and balls while Princess Rhaenys stood tall commanding the room with her husband.

"How are you handling your new free time?" Princess Rhaenys asked, her cold lilac eyes sunk into Elowen's warm hazel ones.

"I must confess I find myself bored without any duties or activities to attend to."

The Princess merely hummed in response. "I do worry for my cousin though." Elowen could feel her neck start burning at the mention of the King. Meeting the older woman's gaze Elowen tried to gain any insight into whether Princess Rhaenys had heard whispers around the Keep. "Though I am sure he will remarry soon enough."

And with that Rhaenys sharply turned, continuing to walk until they came to a stop at the garden's entrance.

"I enjoyed our talk, Lady Redfort, but I believe someone else wishes for your company." Princess Rhaenys spoke, nodding to where Rhaenyra stood waiting for Elowen.

"Thank you, Princess." Elowen curtsied, waiting for Rhaenys to walk away before moving towards Rhaenyra, greeting the young teen with open arms."Rhaenyra, my dear girl."

Rhaenyra fell into her aunt's arms, squeezing the older woman tightly as if scared she too would be taken from her. "Elowen."

Hearing the usually strong girl's voice crack Elowen pulled back slightly, using one hand to gently tilt Rhaenyra's chin up. "What is wrong, Nyra?"

"My father, he-" Rhaenyra took a moment to clear her throat before continuing. "He's going to name me heir."

A proud smile lit up Elowen's face as she pressed a kiss to Rhaenyra's hairline. "That is good news, Rhaenyra, is it not?"

"I don't want to be heir or to sit the Iron Throne. I only want my mother. If I am meant to be named as my father's heir she should be here to watch, to prepare me. To hold me and offer encouraging words. To tell me she's proud."

"Your mother was always proud of you and she would be so happy to know you were named heir." Elowen hugs Rhaenyra closer to her, soothing the girl's shaking body. "I know I am not your mother, but if you wish for me to help prepare you for the ceremony, I will. And I will hold you and tell you how proud I am of you."

Rhaenyra pulled back, wiping at her wet cheeks and trying to hide her watery smile. "Thank you, Elowen."

"There is no need to thank me, I will always be here for you, sweet girl."

Elowen had braided Rhaenyra's long silver locks and pinned them to the back of her head, a similar look to how she had done Aemma's hair on her wedding day And now Elowen

Watched as Lords of the Realm knelt before Princess Rhaenyra and swore fealty to the King's chosen heir. Elowen felt both a sense of pride for the Princess and a pang of sadness. Rhaenyra was the first woman to be named heir to the Iron Throne and would one day be Queen, but Aemma would never see the greatness her daughter would achieve.

"Richard of House Redfort," Mellos, the Grand Maester announced as Elowen's husband knelt before Rhaenyra and the Iron Throne. "Lord of the Redfort."

"I, Richard Redfort, Lord of the Redfort, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Princess Rhaenyra. I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new."

Elowen's eyes drifted from her husband's form over to Rhaenyra and then passed her to her father. King Viserys looked like the epitome of power sitting upon a throne of broken and bent swords from wars and battles won. She wondered if he was angry with her for barging into his chambers the other night, or if he had even thought of her at all. He had surprised her with his gentleness, she had expected to be hit for even speaking to him out of turn. And yet he had apologized and held her as she cried.

Elowen shook her head, this was not the time to be thinking of such things, she was a married woman and Aemma had just died. Hazel eyes turned back to the Princess Rhaenyra, watching as Lord Stark swore his allegiance to her. She didn't notice as lavender eyes focused on her.

Viserys hadn't told anyone of that night, when Elowen had crashed into his rooms saving him from the awkward tension left by his daughter's companion's entrance. Elowen had been harsh with her words and Viserys had returned it tenfold, both so lost in their grief until like waves against the cliff sides, they had crashed into each other. Their despair was halved and shared between the two as they held the pieces Aemma's death had shaken loose in place. Viserys couldn't admit he had been saddened to wake up alone the next morning, with no sign that it had even happened.

And as the final lord finished swearing his house's fealty and Rhaenyra turned to face her father, Viserys stood from his seat. The handle of his sword gripped tightly in his hand as his eyes locked in on his daughter.

"I, Viserys Targaryen, first of his name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm, do hereby name Rhaenyra Targaryen, Princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne."

Elowen bowed her head with the rest of the crowd but as she lifted her head her gaze met Viserys's. The corners of her lips lifted into a smile, her eyes softening at the slight uptick to his lips. She gave a slight nod, hoping he could read the approval and encouragement on her face.