Chapter Twenty-Seven

The ship swayed back and forth as it rode over a great wave

The ship swayed back and forth as it rode over a great wave. Elowen sat on a settee, in one arm Helaena slept soundly, unbothered by the hard journey they were making. With her other arm, Elowen held onto her son and other daughter who were trying to wriggle out of her grasp. 

"Aegon, stop." The mother ordered as the toddler kicked at his mother. "Viserys," Elowen called, looking up to her husband who sat on the other side of the settee, leaning against the arm with his fist held to his mouth. "I know you don't feel well but if you could please pay attention to your children-"

Elowen trailed off as Viserys jumped up, stumbling to the side of the ship and emptying his stomach of its contents.  Lord Lyonel Strong, the new Hand of the King, followed after him, holding out a handkerchief. The Queen watched as her husband thanked the man and used the banister to push himself upright. It was moments like these that Elowen remembered how sick her husband truly was, and how he was fighting off an illness the maesters did not know how to treat.

He pressed the handkerchief to his lips as he turned back to Elowen. His footsteps were slow and precise as he made his way back to the pavilion he had been sitting under. He neared Elowen, falling back onto the settee she sat on. Hazel eyes trailed over Viserys's face, searching for something.

"Your Grace," Elowen's head snapped to where Lyonel Strong stood. "Perhaps the young Prince and Princess would like to see the waves."

Elowen nodded, allowing Lord Lyonel to take Aegon's hand in his and lift Alyssa into his arm. She watched him lead her children to the bannister, holding a child in each arm. As Aegon and Alyssa squealed and clapped, Elowen turned back to her husband. Viserys seemed to shrink in on himself, sinking further down so he could rest his head against Elowen's shoulder.

"The sea does not agree with you, my love." Elowen teased, turning her face to press a kiss to the top of Viserys's head.

Viserys hummed, lifting one of his hands to lay over Elowen's that supported a sleeping Helaena. "Targaryens are made of fire, we are not meant for the sea."

★・・・・・・★

The carriage ride from the docks to the castle of Driftmark had fared better. The gates opened into a bare courtyard where Lord Corlys' son, Ser Laenor and a young knight sparred. The two men quickly came to a stop and bowed to their King and Queen.

"Where is Lord Corlys? He should be here to receive the King." Lord Lyonel questioned the two young men. But before either could answer, the door opened and Lady Laena, Lord Corlys' daughter, walked out followed by her uncle.

Elowen felt sick at the sight of the beautiful young lady who had been the better match for her husband, she knew all of his advisors had pushed him to agree to the marriage. Lady Laena had grown into a gorgeous woman of Valyrian blood. Full Valyrian blood. As if he knew what was going through his wife's mind, Viserys reached out and grabbed her hand, squeezing it to remind her he was there. He had chosen her.