Chapter Forty-Six

Whispers of Rhaenyra's rage had spread to the Red Keep in the days following Aemond's crowning. The Small Council urged the new king to send a battalion to Dragonstone to halt any rebellion that was brewing. Aemond listened to the men's opinions, still getting used to his position of power. He would take in the warnings and then meet with his mother and his betrothed's grandmother and father. Elowen had attempted to persuade Aemond to name new members of the small council if he did not trust the current members' advice. To which Aemond promised he would once Lord Corlys had fully recovered.

It was during one of these secret meetings that Lord Lyonel had rushed into the room, warning of two dragons being spotted on the horizon. Elowen had ushered Aemond to the Great Hall, calling for guards to be stationed from the Red Keep's entrance to the Iron Throne. The nobles that called the Red Keep home, filled the Great Hall, eager to see if the Rogue Prince and Princess had come to accept Aemond as king.

Elowen stood at the base of the throne surrounded by all her children except Aemond. The King had taken his seat upon the Iron Throne, his fingers flexing over the hilt of Blackfyre and the golden crown gleaming atop his head. White Cloaks surrounded the royal family, creating a barrier between Elowen's family and Rhaenyra's. A hand slipped over Elowen's elbow and forearm, pulling her hand from where it rested on her stomach. Helaena's fingers tangled with her mother's, a small smile pulling at her lips as her eyes remained locked on the doorway.

"Spools of red, spools of black. Once lost, now came back." Helaena muttered under her breath, tearing her gaze away from the entrance to meet Elowen's eyes.

"You think?" Elowen quietly questioned, squeezing Helaena's hand.

Helaena merely nodded, turning back to the doorway as the sound of footsteps echoed from the hall. The crowd quieted, holding their breaths as the footsteps grew closer and closer.

Two heads of dark brown hair were the first thing Elowen noticed, sighing in relief that she wouldn't be forced to confront Rhaenyra.

Prince Jacaerys held his head high as he entered the Great Hall, his younger brother, Joffrey, trailing behind him. The young boy's dark eyes were wide with wonder as he took in his mother's home.

As the Princes neared the throne the kingsguards unsheathed their swords, ready for whatever may happen. Jace faltered as he finally stood in front of the Iron Throne and Aemond had not spoken.

Seeing that her son didn't know how to proceed, Elowen stepped forward. "Prince Jacaerys, we were not expecting your arrival. Am I to take this as your acceptance of my proposal?"

Jace's big brown eyes flicked from Elowen to where Helaena stood behind her, his eyes softening as he took her in. "Yes, Your Grace." Jace nodded, turning to look up at his uncle. "I have come to swear fealty to the rightful King."

"Go on then." Aemond grimaced, a sharp stabbing pain coming from under his eye patch as he remembered the night he lost his eye.

Rhaenyra's eldest son knelt before the Iron Throne and bowed his head. "I, Prince Jacaerys Velaryon, promise to be faithful to King Aemond. I pledge fealty to him and shall defend him against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new."

Aemond glanced towards his mother, searching for her direction. At her nod, he stood to his feet and slowly made his way down the steps. He feared this was all a trick, that Rhaenyra and her brood would jump out and hurt him once more. But he trusted his mother, he knew she would do everything in her power to protect him and keep him from harm. And now he was the King, to harm him was a crime punishable by death.

"Rise, nephews." Aemond directed.

Elowen smiled as she watched Aemond accept Jace and Joffrey back into the court. She joined the three, moving to usher them out of the court's eye.

★・・・・・・★

The smell of food filled the Queen's meeting chambers. Different dishes littered the table, platters of cucumber sandwiches and savory scones, and trays of lemon cakes and almond cakes. A carafe of red wine from the Arbor had been set out beside a pot of orange blossom tea.

Jacaerys glanced around the room as he quickly ate his food, tired and hungry from his journey. Joffrey laid out on a nearby chaise, tucked under a blanket as he silently slept.

The Queen swallowed her bite of meat, wiping her lips with her napkin before opening her mouth to speak. "I am glad you have returned to the Red Keep, Jace. This is your and your brother's home."

"Thank you, Your Grace," Jace shyly smiled. "I have missed the Red Keep."

Elowen nodded, taking a sip of her tea before she continued speaking. "How is your mother?"

Jace's smile fell as he considered his mother, wondering if she knew of his betrayal yet. "She and Daemon are angry, they say you have stolen my mother's birthright as you stole Luke's."

"I am sorry, Jace. I never meant for this all to happen."

"I know." Jace's voice is quiet, gaze focused on his plate. "You were always so kind to us, it was hard to believe the things my mother would say."

"You should have never heard anything to begin with, you were a child." Jace shrugs, not knowing how to respond to the kindness Elowen continues to show him and his brothers. "Does she know you are here?"

"No. She sent me to the Vale and Winterfell to secure allies."

Elowen paused at that, Rhaenyra could not be so stupid as to attempt to start a war. "And your younger brother, Lucerys?"

"He was sent to Storm's End." Jace tears his gaze from his plate looking up at Elowen.

"Ah," Elowen chuckles. "So she means to steal the Baratheons. I fear your brother shall not receive a warm welcome, Daeron has been promised to one of Borrus's daughters for some time now."

"What will happen to my brother?"

"He will be captured and brought to King's Landing to stand on trial. It will be the King's decision on what punishment he will face."

"Punishment? He hasn't done anything wrong." Jace argues.

"He is committing treason against the crown. Your mother wishes to usurp the throne." Elowen spoke gently, reaching out to lay a hand over Jace's forearm. "Don't worry, I will make sure no harm comes to your brother."

"Thank you, Your Grace." Jacaerys spoke, the tension slowly leaking from his body.

Elowen smiled kindly, she truly felt sorry for the young teen. Rhaenyra had asked so much of her sons, practically sending them to their doom. "Now let us finish our meal and then I will show you and your brother to your apartments."

AN: Jace is back so I think I wanna add some Jace x Helaena cuteness

-ELE