Chapter Thirty-Eight

Days after Lady Laena's funeral, while Rhaenyra and her family remained on Driftmark at her uncle's side, Ser Laenor was attacked by his friend and personal guard in the Hall of Nine. When House Vealryon's guards had finally arrived Ser Qarl was nowhere to be found and Laenor 's body had been thrown into the grand fireplace. The flames had burnt his head and shoulders, charring his face beyond recognition.

Rumors had quickly spread, blaming Princess Rhaenyra and Prince Daemon of the young father's untimely death. Their reputations were not helped by the fact that the uncle and niece had quickly fled to Dragonstone and wed in the traditional Targaryen customs, a union that could not be undone by any man or god.

When reports of the marriage had finally reached the Small Council, Viserys's disappointment for his eldest daughter grew. The King had angrily declared that a wedding so soon after the deaths of Daemon's wife and Rhaenyra's husband was an insult to their memories, once more humiliating Viserys and House Targaryen.

Also angered by the slight to his children's names and legacies, Lord Corlys had held a celebration months after Laena and Laenor's deaths. There in the company of the Lords and Ladies of the Crownlands, he named his eldest granddaughter as his heir. All watched as Baela shed her father's name and claimed her mother's house as her own. Rhaena's betrothal to the King's second born son was also announced. Gasps of shock and applause had filled the large hall as a dragon egg was presented to the young girl, a gift from her betrothed and his mother. The feast had been a joyous occasion attended by many, though neither Rhaenyra or Daemon arrived, causing whispers of a rift between the members of House Targaryen to spread.

Over eight years passed while Rhaenyra remained on Dragonstone. The Red Keep and King's Landing flourished while the Princess was away. With Viserys's illness continuing to worsen, the King named his wife regent leaving Elowen and the Hand of the King to rule the realm in his stead. Though Elowen had steadfastly refused the title of Protector of the Realm, saying her husband would keep all his titles so long as he lived, she would take nothing from him.

★・・・・・・★

It was lonesome in Viserys' old seat at the head of the Small Council's table, Elowen missed her husband's presence. She missed the small shared smiles as lords droned on, and the little taps of his boot against her foot when he would catch her daydreaming. She missed his booming laughter following some joke he had made, he always laughed more than anyone else at his silly comments. He would turn to look at her, the crinkles around his eyes depending as he beamed at her with his big smile waiting for her laughter to join in with the others. It didn't matter if the joke wasn't to her taste, just seeing the way Viserys's eyes would light up as she chuckled along with him was worth it.