Chapter Twenty-Six

The next morning Elowen was awoken by crying babes, as servants entered the chambers with a screaming Helaena and Alyssa. Like she had done with her first child, Elowen had decided not to employ a wetnurse, instead choosing to nurse her children herself. She had believed she would never have children, so she wanted to experience everything motherhood had to offer.

The Queen rested upon her favorite chaise in her and her husband's quarters, a sleeping babe on either side of her. Across the room Viserys sat at his desk, designing a new building for his model of Valyria. Aegon sat in his father's lap, waving a toy dragon in the air pretending it was flying. The family sat awaiting the arrival of Ser Otto Hightower, apparently the Hand had received news that was important enough to interrupt the couple's peaceful morning.

The door slowly opened, as the Hand to the King stepped into the royal chambers. His normally sour face looked even more solemn this morning.

"What is it?" Viserys asked, he lifted Aegon into his arms as he stood to greet his old friend.

"I apologize for the early hour, Your Grace. I have, um, discomforting news. I thought it best shared discreetly before the council convenes."

"The Sea Snake." Viserys sighed, expecting word of his Cousin's husband.

"I'm afraid it concerns the Princess, my King." Elowen turned to look at the Hand, she carefully stood up, making sure the twins stayed asleep. Alyssa rolled over, throwing her arm over her sister and cuddling into Helaena.

"Has she been harmed?" Viserys asked, holding an arm out for Elowen to step closer..

"Has something happened?" Elowen questioned at the same time.

"It is no easy thing to tell a father," Otto glanced at the Queen. "Or step-mother of their daughter's exploits. I had considered saying nothing, but-"

"What has she done?" Viserys interrupted, as a tightness spread throughout his chest.

"The Princess was spied last evening... beyond the walls of the Keep...in a pleasure house."

"What of it?"

"She was carrying on with her uncle. they were engaged in behaviors unbecoming of a maiden. Of a Princess."

"What behaviors?" Viserys pressed, wishing Otto would just spit it out instead of prolonging this torture.

"Well must I say it, Your Grace?"

"You enter our chambers, accusing our daughter of something. So yes, speak it." Elowen demanded, her hand rubbed up and down Viserys's back, hoping to bring him comfort.

"Daemon and Rhaenyra were seen together in the bowels of a pleasure den," Viserys motioned for his Hand to continue. "...coupling"

"This is a lie," Viserys chuckled, pinning a sharp glare on his chief advisor. "You have been lied to."