Chapter Eighteen

The nobles had flooded into the large tent, following after the King and Queen. Many Lords wandered to the tables where an array of food was set out or began pestering the servants for a drink. Viserys escorted his wife to a small settee surrounded by other seats, helping Elowen to sit down before pressing a kiss to her cheek and turning to walk away.

"Wait." Elowen grabbed Viserys's hand halting him.

"Yes, my love?" his eyebrow ticked upwards as a gentle smile pulled at his lips.

"My son." She merely responded holding out her arms for the toddler.

Viserys chuckled as he set Aegon down on the settee beside Elowen, ruffling the boy's hair with a large hand. "Anything else, my love?"

Elowen merely hummed, eyes darting over to the assortment of food. "Are there any almond cakes?"

"I shall have a plate brought over to you at once." Viserys smiled down at his wife before finally turning away. The crowd parting around him.

"You and the King seem very happy, Your Grace." A voice spoke, startling Elowen.

A group of noble women had gathered on the edge of the circle of seats, waiting for the King to leave before addressing the Queen. With Viserys off to attend to his own duties, Elowen sat up straighter, readying herself for dull conversations with the ladies of the realm. She waved a hand to the seats around her, signaling to the women to find a seat.

"How do you fare, Your Grace?" One of the ladies asked as she sat down.

"I am well, excited to hold my babe in my arms."

"You must be very proud, Prince Aegon is such a handsome babe." Another Lady spoke.

"Thank you." Elowen tried to smile at each of the women as they began spouting off compliments. "Enough about me," Elowen interrupted. "How goes your homes and families?" When none moved to speak, Elowen turned to the older woman to her left. "Any news from the Westerlands, Lady Ceira?"

"My cousin, Lady Johana was reported to have been abducted when one of Lord Swann's ships sailed through the Stepstones."

"How terrible," Elowen sighed, pulling Aegon slightly closer to her. He squealed at his mother, upset with her for interrupting whatever game he was playing with wooden soldiers and dragons. Elowen merely swept her fingers through his strands of white gold, soothing the toddler. "What will happen to Lady Johanna?"

"She's to be sold to a pillow house in the Free Cities if you believe the rumors." Lady Ciera looked around the group, using her cousin's bad fortune to seek out pity and condolences.

"And do you?" Elowen asked, feeling slightly annoyed at the casualness in which Lady Ceira spoke of Lady Johanna's fate.

"Pardon?"