Chapter Thirty-Three

Elowen took deep breaths as she waited for her grandsons under the weirwood tree. The blanket from earlier that morning was still spread over the roots. Aemond sat curled up against the trunk, anxious as he waited for his nephews to join them. Aegon and the twins sat beside him, making grandiose plans to find a dragon for Aemond while Helaena offered cryptic whispers. The two elder siblings had already apologized under their mother's watchful eye, swearing they wouldn't do it again.

The four sat up at the sound of footsteps, seeing Jace and Luke walking up the stone pathway. Elowen smiled at the young princes, waving them over. "Jace, Luke, thank you for joining us."

Rhaenyra's eldest merely nods, moving to sit beside Helaena. He silently hands over a tiny daisy he had been fiddling with, smiling at Helaena as she takes it. Unlike his older brother, Luke is a whirlwind as he bounds over to Aegon, grinning up at his uncle.

Elowen takes her seat, glancing at the children. "We need to speak of what happened in the Dragonpit today."

Jace bows his head in shame, while his younger brother looks to Aegon for guidance.

"Aegon?" Elowen prompts.

"It was cruel of us to give Aemond a pig," Aegon speaks, looking towards Luke to drive his point home. "And humiliate him in such a way."

Alyssa nods in agreement, leaning into her younger brother's space. "We are very sorry, Aemond."

"When you four left the Dragonpit, Aemond ventured into the depths and was almost burned by Dreamfyre."

Jace's head shoots up at the new information, turning to look at Aemond. "We didn't mean for that to happen, Aemond."

"Sorry Aemond." Luke repeats.

"There will be no more stunts of this kind, and if I or the King hear word of another trick there will be punishments." Elowen looks at each child, wanting them to understand. "We are family and will act as such, do you understand?"

The children all nod, voicing their understanding. Luke moves toad Aemond, opening his arms to hug the older boy. He is stopped by a voice calling his and his brother's names. Elowen turns to see Rhaenyra standing on the steps leading into the Godswood.

"Jace, Luke." She calls once more, causing the boys to scramble to their feet and rush to their mother. Rhaenyra glares at Elowen as she ushers her sons into the Red Keep.

Elowen could feel herself tire as Rhaenyra yet again met her with anger. How much longer she could handle the resentment, she did not know. Though she hoped with every bit of her being that the sweet girl she once knew would return to her, the realization that that would never happen sank in. It crept through the back of her mind, causing her heart to ache in her chest.

Aemond and Alyssa moved closer to their mother, leaning into her. They were soon followed by Aegon and Helaena. All together the siblings wrapped their arms around Elowen, holding her together as she threatened to fall apart.

A small smile pulled at Elowen's lips as she allowed herself to bask in the love her children gave her. Allowing their care for her to drive away the despair Rhaenyra's hostility caused.

★・・・・・・★

The midday sun lit up the small inner courtyard of the Red Keep as servants, courtiers, and knights bustled around and attended to their duties The sound of grunts filled the air as the Princes trained. Elowen sat beside her husband on a plush bench, watching as her sons and Rhaenyra's trained together under Ser Harwin's guidance.

"It went well," Elowen explains to Viserys, brushing her fingertips over his knuckles in an effort to calm herself. "Until Rhaenyra called Jace and Luke away. She hates me, Viserys."

"I will speak to her again." Viserys offers, turning his hand over to hold Elowen's.

"I doubt that will change anything." Elowen sighs, sitting up as Lord Lyonel Strong joined the two royals. "How do you fare today, Lord Lyonel?"

"I am well, Your Grace." Lyonel smiles at the Queen, bowing his head in greeting.

Viserys chuckled as Harwin instructed Aemond, turning to face his friend behind him. "This is the stuff, Lyonel. Lads that learn together, train together. Knock each other down, pick each other up. They will certainly form a lifelong bond, wouldn't you agree?"

"That is the hope, Your Grace."

Elowen watched as Aegon weaved and spun around his opponent made of straw, knocking the figure back with a swing of his wooden sword. From her seat on the balcony overlooking the training fields, she could do little more than watch as Harwin picked up a wooden blade and motioned for the five princes to advance on him.

"Is this safe, Viserys?" Elowen questioned as Aegon made the first move, advancing quickly and aggressively towards Ser Harwin. Though the large knight barely budged, standing with one hand behind his back as he blocked the Prince's blows. Daeron came to his brother's aide, running straight at Ser Harwin with his blade poised in front of him. He was quickly followed by Jace and Luke. "What if they are injured?"

"They will be fine, my love. You worry too much." Viserys chuckled at his wife's position at the edge of her seat, leant so far forward she was almost over the balcony's railing.

Aemond stood back, watching carefully as he took in Ser Harwin's form, searching for a weak spot. His mind turned over and over, as he formed a plan. As Ser Harwin pushed Aegon into the younger princes, Aemond made his move. Swinging his blade, the Prince aimed for Ser Harwin's unprotected side, taking the man by surprise.

"I am a mother, Viserys, it is in my nature to worry." Elowen watched as Ser Harwin knocked Aemond back, swatting the young prince in the backside with the sword.

AN: Quick lil chapter where Elowen and her kids are cute

-ELE