Chapter Forty-Two

The air in the Red Keep had been heavy and thick with tension since Princess Rhaenyra's return. Everyone's muscles had tensed as they awaited whatever commotion the Crown Princess would stir up. Breathes had stilled in the servants and courtiers chests, only leaving their lips in sighs of relief as Rhaenyra and her family fled from King's landing, returning to Dragonstone by sea and on dragonback.

And once more in her absence the people of King's Landing smiled, they watched as rich carriages drove across cobblestone roads leading to the Red Keep. With a wedding soon to take place, Elowen turned her attention onto the smallfolk. Accompanied by her three daughters and Rhaenys and her granddaughters, Elowen had a stage constructed in the middle of the great square.

Upon the stage Elowen looked out upon the large population that resided in King's Landing. "People of King's Landing," Elowen called out. The jewels in her crown shone in the sunlight and there was not even a speck of dirt on the finer brocade fabric of her dress, every inch of her separated her status from those she addressed, and yet she smiled at them as if she considered them her friends. "I come bearing wondrous news! My son, Prince Aemond, shall wed Lady Rhaena Targaryen in a tenday!"

Elowen turned back slightly, motioning Rhaena to move forward. The young teen grinned as she took her soon to be good mother's hand. She waved to the crowd, her smile growing larger as they cheered for her.

"My People!" Elowen yelled out, causing the crowd to quiet as they waited to hear what else she had to say. "I hope you will celebrate this union alongside us. If you wish too, you need only to return to this very square in ten days. A feast for everyone shall be prepared and brought down, there will be music and dancing while we wish my son and his new wife a blessed union!"

The crowd once more broke into cheers as they thanked the Good Wife. Elowen merely smiled and waved as guards helped escort her and her companions back to the wheelhouse. Members of the city watch created a barrier between the royals and the smallfolk, though that didn't stop those brave enough from reaching out for their Queen. Elowen took each dirt streaked hand in her pristine one, smiling at each person individually until Ser Harrold had to personally move her forward into the wheelhouse.

A peaceful silence filled the carriage as it slowly began to rock side to side. Elowen pulled a handkerchief out from where it had been tucked into her bodice and slowly began to wipe any dirt from her hand. She did not have a moment to truly clean herself, as soon as they returned to the Red Keep she was needed in Aemond's apartments, she had promised she would help ready him.

"They love you." Rhaena whispered from beside Elowen.

"And I love them."

"How?" Rhaena questioned, causing Elowen to look up from her hand. The young teens' indigo eyes were wide with wonder.

"They are not just our subjects, Rhaena. And we do not only rule over them, we care for them. The small folk of King's Landing, and by extension the realm, are our family. A King and Queen, or Lord and Lady are tasked with the protection and safety of those under their care. If you love them, they shall love you in return."

Rhaena nodded, glancing out one of the windows to look at the passing buildings as they began to ascend Aegon's Hill. "Will you help me?" Rhaena asked, her voice small. "To help them?"

"Of course." Elowen smiled, taking the young teen's hand in one of her own. "Whatever you need I shall be there, and so will your grandmother."

"You will be a good queen, Rhaena." Rhaenys praised her granddaughter. "And Baela will be a strong Lady of the Tides."

★・・・・・・★

Servants bustled around through the halls of the Red Keep as they finished the preparations for the upcoming ceremony and feast at the end of the day. Though they quickly stepped to the side, making room for the Queen to pass through. Elowen smiled at each person as she passed them, moving closer to Aemond's apartments.

The Kingsguard nodded to her in greeting as he opened the door for her. The air was still in Aemond's chambers, thick with his doubts and worries. Elowen slowly approached him where he sat slumped in one of his chairs. She gently laid a hand over his shoulder, pulling him closer so his head rested against her midsection.

"How are you feeling?" Elowen asked, moving her hand from his shoulder to run her fingers through his long silky white hair.

"Nervous." Aemond's voice came out muffled as he hid his face in his mother's stomach.

"You know I was so scared when I married your father. Not because I didn't love him, but because I feared what the realm might think. That they wouldn't accept me as their queen." Elowen gently pushed back Aemond's hair, tilting his head back so she could look into his eyes. "But you, my sweet boy, you were born for this. You have studied the histories and know the laws, you are a remarkable swordsman and ride the largest dragon in the world. And your father chose you as his heir. You will be a great king, Aemond. Have no doubt."

"Thank you, mother." Aemond whispered, a small smile pulling at the corners of his lips.

"Come now," Elowen patted his shoulder, nudging him to his feet. She gently pulled him towards the mirror stood in the corner of the room. A bright red tunic had been laid out on a nearby chair, waiting to be worn. "Lift your arm." Elowen whispered, helping Aemond slip one arm into the sleeves at a time.

Her hands fluttered over his shoulders as she moved to stand in front of him, tugging the fabric down so it sat snugly against his frame. A golden frame had been sewn throughout the top, creating the illusion of dragon scales. The six golden clasps at the front of the garment were made to look like two halves of a dragon on either side, creating three whole dragons once the garment had been closed.

A small smile pulled at the corners of her lips as she looked up at her son, he had grown taller than her in the past years. Continuing to grow until he towered over his mother. Though as Elowen gifted a hand to rest against Aemond's cheek, he sunk into her touch, still very much a boy seeking the comfort of a mother.

"You look so handsome, my sweet boy." Elowen whispered, pushing onto the tips of her toes and tilting Aemond's head downwards so she could press a kiss to his forehead.

"Thank you, mother." Aemond whispered.

Elowen grinned as she pulled back, her eyes darted to the doorway. She covered her surprise well as she spotted the young girl that would soon join her family. "I shall leave you to finish readying, besides I think someone wishes to speak with you."

At the confused furrow of Aemond's brow, Elowen nodded towards the doorway. The tension drained from Aemond's body as he saw Rhaena, a small smile lighting up his face as her name left his lips with his breath. Elowen quickly left the chambers wishing to give the young teens a moment alone before everything would change.

AN: Sorry for disappearing for a bit, I had some family stuff going on and couldn't find the time or motivation to write.