Chapter Thirty-Seven

The next day Viserys and Elowen had asked to meet with Rhaenys and Corlys as their ship was readied. A table and six chairs had been carried into the Hall of nine and filled with an array of different foods.

Aemond sat beside his mother, glancing across the table to where Rhaena sat at her grandmother's side. A gentle nudge caused the young boy to clear his throat, garnering the table's attention.

"I wished to apologize, Lady Rhaena. It was wrong of me to claim Vhagar before you had the chance." Aemond took a deep breath before continuing. "I would also like to invite you to choose a dragon egg from the dragonpit."

"What a gracious offer from the young Prince, what do you say Rhaena?" Corlys prompted the young girl.

"Thank you, my Prince." Rhaena glanced towards Aemond, before her eyes fell to her plate again.

"I really am sorry," Aemond spoke once more. "I just didn't want to be the only Targaryen who never claimed a dragon."

Rhaena nodded, lifting her gaze back to the young boy. "My egg never hatched."

"Mine either. I once burned myself trying to get it hot enough," A small smile pulled at Aemond's lips as he glanced at Elowen. "My mother scolded me when she discovered the burns."

Rhaena chuckled at the thought of Aemond being scolded by his mother. "I like to hold my egg to the flames and hope that it will finally hatch."

Elowen beamed at seeing the children getting along, she glanced towards Rhaenys, seeing the same joy reflected in the older woman's face. "Why don't you two go discuss dragon names, the King and I wish to speak to Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys alone."

Rhaena nodded as Aemond stood from his seat, moving to Rhaena's side. The Young Prince offered his arm to his cousin, copying what he had seen his father do for his mother. Rhaena smiled as she took Aemond's arm, pulling him from the Hall of Nine.

"What did you wish to speak of?" Rhaenys asked, tearing her eyes from the corner her granddaughter had disappeared around.

Viserys laid his hand over Elowen's, smiling at his wife before turning to face his cousin and her husband. "I propose we once more unite our families and betroth your granddaughter, Rhaena, to my second son, Prince Aemond."

"You honor us once more, Cousin, but may I ask why you seek another match with our house?" Rhaenys questioned.

"As I'm sure you are aware after last night's," Elowen faltered for a moment, searching for a word to describe the prior night. "Discussion, there is an unrest building within House Targaryen. Viserys and I want to stop it from spreading any further into the newest generations."

Rhaenys nodded, seeing the truth in Elowen's words. She looked to her husband, allowing him to make the choice.

"It would be an honor to unite our houses once more." Lord Corlys grinned, lifting his cup into the air. "To Rhaena and Prince Aemond's betrothal."

"Hear, hear." Elowen cheered, lifting her goblet as well.

"There is one more thing," Viserys spoke, causing the celebration to halt. Elowen looked to her husband, curious as to what else was needed to be discussed. "I request that you name Baela as your heir to the Driftwood Throne."

"You would have me disinherit my son?" Corlys questioned.

"I am not asking, Lord Corlys. I am telling you as your King, to name Baela as your heir."

"We will say that it is how we will honor Laena's memory." Rhaenys told her husband.

Lord Corlys pushed himself to his feet, glancing between his wife and King. "I will declare it, Your Grace."

With that the Lord of the Tides stormed from the hall. A sigh fell from Rhaenys's lips as she watched her husband leave the room, she lifted one of the carafes of wine and refilled her goblet. As she lifted the goblet to her lips the door behind her was pushed open.

Elowen's eyes widened at the sight of Rhaenyra, she hadn't expected the Princess to join them. Rhaenys stood to her feet, following after her husband to give the three a moment to speak.

"You wished to see me, Father." Rhaenyra spoke, moving further into the hall.

"Yes," Viserys waved to the now empty seats across from him and Elowen. He waited for Rhaenyra to sit down before continuing. "Based on the seriousness of Aemond's injury, I have decided that Lucerys cannot go unpunished."

"He is a child who was forced to defend himself and-" Viserys lifted his hand, halting Rhaenyra's argument.

"Prince Lucerys will be disinherited, instead Lord Corlys has agreed to make Baela his heir."

"You can't do that!"

"I am the King!" Viserys roared, before breaking into a cough. "I am your King, and my word is law.

Rhaenyra turned to Elowen, her eyes narrowing into a sharp glare. "And what do you get out of this? How does this benefit you?"

"I find no joy in this matter, Rhaenyra." Elowen sighed, already exhausted by Rhaenyra's unjustified anger. She pushed herself to her feet, leaning over to press a kiss to her husband's cheek. "I'm going to gather the children to wait for our ship."

"I will join you in a moment, my love." Viserys nodded, his smile fell as soon as Elowen was no longer in the hall. "I should have put an end to this enmity years ago, but I was lax and believed you would one day accept Elowen. And in my negligence you have grown to be cruel. No more, you will cease this hostility towards Elowen or there will be consequences."

Viserys pushed himself to his feet, staring down at his daughter. "I will not speak to you on this matter again."

He moved from the table, leaving Rhaenyra alone in the Hall of Nine to consider his warning.

AN: Viserys finally stood up for Elowen I'm so proud of him

-ELE