Chapter Thirty-Five

House Targaryen had quickly descended onto Driftmark upon receiving news of Lady Laena Velaryon's death.

The sound of waves crashing against the rocks below filled the air, mixing with Ser Vaemond Velaryon's speech. A stone coffin holding the body of Lady Laena Velaryon sat on the edge of a cliff as men wrapped ropes around it.

Elowen stood beside her husband at the front of the crowd, though there was a thick tension between the two. They had not truly spoken since Viserys's accusation and Harwin and Alicent's departure. Elowen could feel Viserys glance at her from the corner of his eyes. She leaned closer to Helaena, linking her arm with her daughter's. Tilting her head slightly so the black veil she wore hid Viserys from her view.

The High Valyrian became harsher as Ser Vaemond directed his words toward Rhaenyra. And though Elowen could not understand the language, she had no doubt it was meant to question the paternity of Rhaenyra's children.

A giggle from where Prince Daemon stood interrupted Ser Vaemond's speech. He paused for a moment to glare at his niece's widower, before continuing. The ropes that had been tied around Laena's coffin were pulled causing the sarcophagus to slide closer to the cliff's edge.

A loud splash filled the air as Laena's coffin tumbled over the edge and into the water, sinking to the depths to never be seen again.

★・・・・・・★

After the funeral, the guests were invited to socialize on a balcony jutting out of the cliffside. Elowen sat beside her husband under a pavilion overlooking the crowd. Viserys had attempted to speak to Elowen when she had first sat down, but she merely ignored him.

"Elowen-" Viserys attempted to speak to Elowen once more.

"You should speak to your brother," Elowen interrupted her husband as she stood to her feet. "Offer him your condolences."

Viserys could do little more than watch as Elowen walked away, the crowd parting around her as she moved towards her children.

"My sweets," Elowen spoke, interrupting whatever conversation her children had been having while they watched Helaena play with some insect she had found. "Your cousins have lost their mother and could use a kind word."

"Must we mother," Aegon whined, taking another sip from the goblet in his hands.

"Don't whine, Aegon. It's unbecoming of a Prince." Alyssa snickered, digging her elbow into his side.

"Yes." Elowen ordered, snatching the cup from her eldest son's hands. "And no more wine."

"Are you coming with, Lae?" Alyssa asked her twin, leaning over the younger girl's shoulder.