Chapter One

Elowen was late, having lost track of time between the shelves of the royal library in her search for the perfect book to read to her dear cousin

Elowen was late, having lost track of time between the shelves of the royal library in her search for the perfect book to read to her dear cousin. Like all her previous pregnancies Aemma had been restricted to her chambers for fear of something going wrong. And as the birth grew nearer and nearer Aemma was growing tired of the walls of her rooms. As she did with Aemma's prior pregnancies, Elowen spent her days with her cousin. She'd bring gifts of some kind everyday, from bouquets made of flowers from the Red Keep's gardens, to a book from the royal library, or even having the kitchens make almond cakes that Elowen would sneak to the Queen.

Wavy brown locks of hair and a pale blue skirt trailed behind her figure as the Queen's Lady-in-waiting briskly walked to the Queen's chambers. Elowen was tempted to run, but after the last time she had been late and decided to run she thought better of it. During one of Aemma's earlier pregnancies, Elowen had quickly turned a corner and collided into Lord Otto Hightower's chest, frightening the Hand of the King. The older man had grabbed at his chest, gasping for breath before catching it and chastising Elowen. He had even complained to the King, leading to Viserys speaking to his wife, and Aemma and Elowen laughing about the stuck up man's complaints later.

As Elowen drew nearer to her destination her pace quickened. The King's Guard at the door recognized her, and quickly opened the door when Elowen made no move to stop. She rushed through the doors, dodging maesters and servants as they bustled around the room, caring for the pregnant Queen.

"What have you brought me today?" The smile was clear in Aemma's voice as she saw her closest friend.

"A book on the history of the old Kings of the Mountain and the Vale. I thought hearing of home would bring you comfort." Elowen responded, pulling a footstool over to the chaise where the Queen relaxed. Sitting down, Elowen leaned over and placed a hand on Aemma's stomach, stroking the taut skin through her dressing gown. "How is he today?"

"Currently fighting a war against my bladder," Aemma chuckled, placing her hand atop Elowen's. The two women smiled down at the bump, imagining the babe that grew inside of Aemma.

"He will make a mighty warrior." Elowen beamed, tearing her gaze from Aemma's bump to look her dear cousin in the eyes. "The best tourney knight the realm has seen."

"I wish I had your confidence," Aemma chuckled, squeezing Elowen's hand that rested on her stomach. "You and Viserys are so convinced it will be a boy, I do not understand how."

"Do you really wish to know?" Elowen whispered, hazel eyes boring into bright blue.

"Yes."

"You mustn't think me mad."

"I could never." A kind smile pulled at Aemma's lips. "I could never think anything remotely bad about you."

"I had a dream," Elowen took a deep breath. "I held a white haired babe in my arms as you slept and then the King called for the babe by name."