Chapter Twenty

The next morning, Viserys had woken to the sight of his wife and son cuddled up beside him. He had groaned as he rolled onto his back, rubbing at his eyes as he silently cursed himself for indulging in the wine. Elowen merely chuckled at her husband's self imposed misfortune, kissing the crown of Aegon's head. The toddler squealed, reaching out to pat his father's cheek.

Viserys lifted the chubby hand off of his face and brought it to his mouth, pretending to eat it. Peals of joyous laughter flowed from the young Prince's lips as a beaming smile lit up his face. Viserys grinned back at his son, before glancing up at Elowen. The Queen smiled back, grateful to share such happy moments with the man she loved.

A servant had interrupted the peaceful morning, alerting Viserys that the hart had been caught. The King's smile fell as he forced himself from the warmth of the shared bed. Elowen watched as her husband dressed for the day, her mind reminding her of what it would mean if the white hart had been captured.

Viserys moved to Elowen's bedside, he bent down to press a kiss to Aegon's hairline before his eyes met Elowen's over the head of white hair. Both worried over what the gods had in store for their family. Viserys lifted a hand to Elowen's cheek, stroking his thumb against the delicate skin under her eye. Elowen leans into his touch, her hand covers his own as she brushes her lips against the heel of his palm.

No words were needed for husband and wife to understand each other. Viserys nodded as he pulled away, wishing Elowen a good morning as he left the royal tent. Elowen remained in bed, pulling her son closer and rubbing a hand against the taut flesh of her stomach. Time seemed to still as thoughts of the future ran though Elowen's mind. She worried for Rhaenyra, a bitterness had spread through the girl like a poison. Killing the sweet girl Elowen had once known, though she still prayed that that version of Rhaenyra would return.

Ingrid and Gretchel had entered the royal tent soon after the King had left, finding Elowen lost in her thoughts. When she had finally noticed their presence Elowen acted as if nothing was the matter, handing Aegon over to Gretchel as she allowed Ingrid to dress her.

Only the ladies of the realm had occupied the main tent when Elowen had entered. The lords had followed the King into the Kingswood with the hope that a white stag would be waiting for them. Elowen barely listened to the women around her, their voices droned on all melting together into an undistinguishable sound.

A flash of auburn hair crossed Elowen's line of sight, causing her to call out. "Alicent."

The girl halted in her movement, turning to face the Queen. A look of surprise clear on her face. "Your Grace?"

"Join me." Elowen requested, patting the empty cushion beside her.

Alicent hurried to Elowen's side. The older ladies stared in astonishment as the teen shared a settee with the Queen. Alicent shyly smiled at the older woman, Rhaenyra's complaints playing in the back of her mind. "You look lovely today, Your Grace. Red suits you well."

Elowen glanced down at her red and gold patterned dress, before turning to admire the pale blue Alicent wore. "Thank you, dear. I adore your blue gowns, they remind me of Eyrie. On days when the sky was clear you could see this very color for miles around." Elowen's voice broke slightly as she remembered her days in the Eyrie before she followed Aemma to King's Landing.

Alicent quickly glanced to the ladies sat nearby. Seeing that they were engrossed in their own conversations, Alicent leaned closer to the Queen. She held her hand out in a silent offering. Elowen's smile was watery as she took Alicent's hand, squeezing the hand in thanks.

"All I can remember of my mother is her eyes," Alicent's hand slipped from Elowen's as her fingers twisted around her skirt. "They were the brightest shade of blue. I- It helps me to feel closer to her by wearing blue."

"That is lovely, Alicent." A small smile spread across Alicent's lips at the slight praise. "Sometimes when I miss Aemma the most I journey to the Grand Sept, it helps to pray to the gods above."

"I do the same thing."

"Perhaps we might journey together one day. It has been so long since I've had someone to pray with."

"I would like that, Your Grace."

A servant appeared over Elowen's shoulder, alerting the Queen of the King's incoming arrival. Elowen shifted to the edge of her seat as she tried to pull herself to her feet. Alicent quickly stood, coming to Her Grace's assistance.

Elowen smiled at the young girl in thanks. "Walk with me?"

"Of course, Your Grace." Alicent hastily replied, allowing Elowen's arm to loop through hers.

The noblewomen quickly followed the Queen out of the tent, forming a half circle as they waited for the men's arrival. Yells and boisterous laughter was heard as horses carrying the lords of the realm rode into camp. Viserys rode at the front of the group, his frown turning upwards as he caught sight of his wife.

A page quickly rushed to the King's brown steed placing wooden steps at the horse's side. As soon as the soles of Viserys's boots hit the dirt ground he was moving to Elowen, sweeping her into his arms. One of his hands landed on her stomach, stroking the swollen flesh through the thick fabric of her dress.

Elowen's own hand covered his as her other lightly touched his cheek, drawing his attention to her. "Well?"

Viserys sighed, leaning in to press a kiss to her temple. "The hart was brown." He whispered into her hair.

Elowen could practically see some of the tension melt away as some of the weight was lifted off of his shoulders. She turned her head slightly so she could see the nobles. They waited with baited breath, not knowing how to react. "A successful hunt for my son's second name day!"

Grins spread across the faces in the crowd. Now that they knew how to proceed cheers and applause filled the large camp.

★・・・・・・★

Kitchen staff that had followed the King and Queen from the Red Keep had quickly prepared a midday meal. Pigs roasted over flames on spit roasts filling the air with a mouth watering scent. As other servants bustled around packing up tents and serving food. Two ornate chairs sat behind a large table occupied by Elowen and Viserys, the man was barely listening to whatever his Hand was saying. Instead he watched as Elowen fed Aegon spoonfuls of sweet custard.

All of the sudden the crowd grew quiet as Princess Rhaenyra rode in on her horse drenched in blood and dragging a boar behind her. A small number of nobles gathered around her horse as Rhaenyra dismounted, either wishing to welcome the Princess back or question her on her adventure. But Rhaenyra ignored them and walked right past, heading towards the tent she had been meant to share with her family.

Without a word Viserys took Aegon from Elowen, continuing to feed the toddler so he wouldn't notice his mother's absence. The Queen stood to her feet with a speed she had not had since before her pregnancy. She was relieved to see Rhaenyra return, but couldn't help but worry about the amount of blood staining the Princess's skin and hair.

Elowen rounded the table. Her arm stretched out, reaching for Rhaenyra. She wanted nothing more than to pull the girl into her and hold her close. "Rhaenyra?"

Burning lilac eyes met watery hazel briefly, before Rhaenyra was turning away and continuing on. A sharp pain slashed through Elowen's chest as Rhaenyra ignored her. She stood still until the Princess had disappeared into the tent. Warm hands spun her by her shoulders, before she crashed into a familiar chest. Viserys's arms wrapped tightly around her, soothing the ache Rhaenyra's indifference had left. 

AN: My final is tomorrow so wish me luck

-ELE