Chapter 7

Alexia POV

Stepping back into the chemistry classroom is like stepping back into my worst nightmare. I desperately want to ask Professor Smithson why she thinks I am such an awful science student, why she felt I would be best matched with Louis Tomlinson, why I was the one who had to put up with the challenge of dealing with a difficult lab partner all semester. But I don't. Instead I take my seat in the middle of the classroom next to Zayn and pull out my notebook and a pen, preparing to take notes for the day.

"How's it going Alexia?" Zayn asks in a sincere voice.

"It's going fine. Just thankful today is class and not lab." I cringe at the thought of having to spend 3 hours beside the arrogant being that is Louis Tomlinson.

"I'm sorry about that Alexia, but I'm sure you will handle it. Besides, most of our grade is based off of class and not lab," Zayn offers an encouraging smile and I know that he's right.

Professor Smithson walks in a few minutes later and I organize my notebook and prepare for lecture. Just as the clock strikes nine, a figure stumbles into the classroom. I don't even have to turn my head to know that it's Louis Tomlinson, my obnoxious lab partner.

"Mr. Tomlinson, glad to see you've decided to join us this morning," Professor Smithson comments in a sarcastic voice.

"The pleasure is all mine," Louis responds. I make eye contact and he sends me a wink. I roll my eyes and turn back to face the front of the classroom.  So yesterday he couldn't talk to me and now he is winking at me? Irritated I choose to ignore Louis and return my attention to the class.

"I would like to remind all of you that this afternoon we will be having a one hour labratory to continue planning your semester project. This is mandatory and I expect all of you to be there."  Professor Smithson says and the class groans.  She then proceeds with the lecture.  When Professor Smithson dismisses us I quickly go to the front of the classroom to ask her a question. 

"Miss Hollaway how can I help you?" she asks, surely wondering how at this point I could already have questions for her.

"Yes...I was wondering....umm..I was wondering how the lab partners were matched up?" I say suprising myself with my boldness at the end of the sentence. 

"You are with Tomlinson, correct?" she asks with an eyebrow raise.

"Yes and I was just wondering how. I'm just a little concerned," I say trying not to sound like a whining student. 

"Like I said before Miss Hollaway, the lab partners were assigned based demonstrated science ability."

"But I scored a 32 on my Science ACT, this must be a mistake," I say mortified that my college professor might be suggesting I lacked science ability. 

"I never implied you did not demonstrate science ability, you are a very strong science student Alexia. Now if you will excuse me, I have another class to teach in a few minutes," Professor Smithson states.

I gather my stuff and walk out of the classroom.  Was this woman delusional? There was no way that Louis Tomlinson had similar science test scores.  If she didn't doubt my ability then why was I paired with the worst student in the class.  Frustrated I take out my phone to text Marie, only to see a text from Niall.

Want to go out to dinner with me tonight? Does 7 work? - Niall

Niall was asking me on at date?  Although it was unexpected I thought of what Marie and I had talked about the other night.  I was in college, college was about new things and taking risks. What would it hurt to spend an evening out with a very attractive soccer player?  Without thinking I respond. 

I'm in.

A few hours later, I find myself once again in the Chemistry Lab.  Louis was there right as the clock struck four, unsurprisingly.

"Well what are we doing today love?" he asks in that stupid, annoying, somehow seductive accent of his. 

"WE are working on some ideas for our final project," I reply, emphasizing the we.

"Jeez, someone's a little angry this afternoon, rough day I take it?" he says in that slightly sarcastic voice of his. 

"My day was fine until about five minutes ago, so can we please just get to work on this brainstorming so I can leave by five and go get ready for my night," I say slightly irritated.

"Ooooo, hot date huh Alexia? Wouldn't want to interfere with that now would I?" he smirks.

"Please can we just do Chemistry?" I sigh with frustration and stare at my worksheet.  I guess if he wasn't going to help I would just do this whole project by myself. 

"I get the feeling you don't like me very much, but Alexia I've got to tell you, I'm a very likeable guy,"  Louis smirks.

" I don't. Now what kind of experiment are we doing?" I say.

"You're the science nerd now aren't you?" Louis raises his eyebrow.

"Well...I was thinking...."

"I knew you already had it all planned out. So we can leave?" Louis starts to pack up his stuff.

"Stop. I am not doing all this work. I refuse.  I may come up with the idea, but you are going to have to help put in some of the work," I groan. 

"Agreed," Louis sighs.

"So if I write the research proposal you'll meet me once a week to work on it?" I ask, praying that for once Louis acts decent. 

"If that's what it takes for you to tolerate me Alexia."

"Okay how does Thursday night work?"

"That's fine. So we can go now right?"

"Yes," I sigh.

Louis grabs his stuff off the lab bench and begins to walk towards the door. I follow him out. As we leave the building, he turns around giving me a sly smile.

"Better get ready for your hot date... Don't wanna keep Niall waiting now would we."

I feel my face turn fifty shades of pink as Louis walks away. How did he know I was going out with Niall tonight? I try my best to ignore it, I'm not sure why I always let Louis get under my skin. I am going to have a fantastic night with Niall and forget all about Louis Tomlinson.

***************************

"You look absolutely stunning Alexia," Niall says after I answer the door.  I feel my cheeks flush.

"Thank you."

"Well, should we head out? I have a reservation for us at 7:30 at a little Italian place downtown." Niall smiles, gesturing towards the door. 

"Sure," I say as I follow Niall out the door.