Chapter 40

Louis POV

The roar of the crowd as we jog into the stadium sends adrenaline through my veins. Today was a big day, a big game, and I was more focused than I had been before. I wanted nothing more than to turn this team into champions, and I felt that today was my day. 

The energy builds as my name is called and I step forward during team introductions. Its nearly exploding by the time we head to the coin toss. Niall and I high-five when we win the toss. There would be no bad blood between us today; we have the same end goal in mind. 

Winning a championship had been something I had dreamed of since I was a young lad. My father would tell me about his glorious days of playing club football, and the undefeated record his team had for many years. After just falling short of making it to the championship game last year, this year I was back with a vengeance. I wanted to feel that glory for myself, and I wanted to make my father proud of the footballer I'd become. 

With a season filled with more conflict and drama than I would have liked, a win today would be the icing on the cake. All I had to do was keep my focus on the game. 

As the game starts, I feel myself kick into high gear. The ball connects with my feet and I am weaving in and out of defenders. Passing the ball to my teammates and then having it connect back with me. We are only a few minutes in when I shoot for the first time and the ball swirls past the goalie's hands and hits the net with a beautiful swish. 

"GOAL!" The announcers voice yells overhead and I hear the crowd let out a roar. I smile to myself pleased with my performance. "Louis Tomlinson for the first score of the game."

"Nice one mate," Niall gives me a slap on the back, and I don't grimace or fume. This game was ours for certain. 

Grabbing a bottle of water from the sidelines, I let the cool liquid run down my throat. I glance over to the crowd and spot Harry. He gives me a thumbs up and I give him a shrug. My eyes shift slightly and I see Alexia sitting next to him, her face lit up in a wide smile as she is turned talking to Marie. 

I push the thought of her out of my mind. You didn't win championships with your mind caught up thinking about some girl. 

The first half goes spectacularly, and we lead 2-0 at the half. I'm out of breath and my heart is racing, but I'm feeling more confident than I ever have. This was my game to lose now. I just needed to keep my eyes on the prize.

We start the second half and I stay close to my opponent, finally managing to steal away the ball. I head back towards the goal, building momentum. I don't even see him coming until I feel the crack of my ankle as it twists as a collide with another person, followed by a blunt pain as my head collides with his shoulder. I feel the edges of my vision begin to blur and then everything is black.

Alexia POV

As much as I wasn't always a fan of soccer. This game was getting intense. Louis had just stolen the ball and I was at the edge of my seat anticipating him making the next goal, the goal that would most likely make us champions. Harry's thinking the same thing, as I see him sit forward on the bleachers, anticipating the stand to his feet that is sure to come at any moment.

That's when it happens, Louis is moving at full speed, headed straight towards another goal, when seemingly out of nowhere the defender collides with him. Louis is stopped abruptly in his tracks and his head has a sudden impact with his shoulder. The whole crowd goes silent as the star player falls to the ground. 

I hold my breath for a moment as I see the trainers run to the field to check up on Louis.

"Oh my god," Harry mutters under his breath, and I turn to see him running a hand through his curly brown hair. No one says anything for a moment, as we watch intently for some sign of what has just taken place on the field. 

"Okay he's up, he's up," I hear the concern in Harry's voice, but feel a slight sigh of relief when I see Louis slowly sit up with assistance. His hand clutching his head. 

"He's going to be okay" I hear Leah console her distraught boyfriend softly. For a reason I don't care to explain, I relate to Harry's level of concern. All Louis wanted to do was win this championship game and now here he was being walked off the field with a likely concussion and from the way he was hopping off the sidelines an ankle injury. 

Some part of me wants to run down there and make sure he's okay, find out what's going on and stay by his side until he's feeling better, but the rational part of me knows that's not my place. That was the place for a girlfriend or a best friend, neither of which I was to Louis. And so I would have to sit here, watching with concern like every other member of the crowd, until an announcement was made on his injury status. Then I would sit here, like every other person and continue to watch the game, hoping that this hadn't shaken the team enough to result in a loss. 

I don't even register the words of the announcer stating that Louis will not return to the game and that some freshman will take his place in the line-up. I don't even pay attention to the game as it starts back up again, and don't even feel a sense of disappointment when the opponents score another goal. My mind is only focused on Louis, and I wish that it wasn't.

"They are taking him to the hospital to get checked out. I'm going to meet him there." Harry announces, looking down at his phone. 

"Can you let us know how the game turns out?" Leah asks, as the couple stands.

"Of course, can you let me know how Louis is doing?" I say, and the words surprise me as they fall from my mouth. 

"Of course," Harry says with a smile that could almost be interpreted as a smirk.

"He's going to be fine Alexia, just a minor setback but its nothing serious." Marie says in an uncharacteristically supportive way. 

"I don't know why I am so concerned about it. I just feel for him you know?" I say and Marie nods. 

"When you are connected to someone, their pain becomes your own." Zayn muses, and as much as I hated to admit it, he was right- I was connected to Louis Tomlinson.