Chapter 18

Louis POV

The yellowish hue surrounding my eye as I look in the mirror every morning serves as a constant reminder of the events that unfolded two weeks earlier. It had been two weeks since Niall Horan thought he could scare me and two weeks since I heard Alexia speak her mind. It had also been two weeks since she had asked questions no one had ever asked me before, and came the closest anyone had ever come to discovering my secret.

To say I had become removed over the course of the past two weeks would be an understatement, as it had been much more than that. After the tousle with Niall, coach made both of us sit out the next game, which was more than enough to piss me off. I could barely bring myself to look Alexia in the eye when we sat next to each other in lab. The fact that she could be so blatantly oblivious to the villain that was Niall Horan disgusted me, and the fact that I cared enough to be concerned with such a thing disgusted me as well.

Harry had recognized that something was up as well, and while I blamed it all on feeling behind on the team, and overwhelmed with classes, the truth was I felt like my life was spiraling out of control. Everything I thought I was happy with was turning into a nightmare, and I wasn't sure what I wanted anymore.

So how does one solve a quarter-life crisis? Like any good college student, there is only one solution. Good 'ol alcohol. And lucky for me I happened to be dating a girl whose weekends consisted of that and only that every time.

"Harry I'm headed out for the night, see ya later mate!" I yell across the room of Harry's apartment, grabbing my things to head out the door.

"Where are you going Lou?" He pops his head out of the kitchen, giving me a questioning look.

"I'm going out with Erica" I respond back.

"Are you sure about that mate?"

"100%" I say and walk out the door.

****************************************************

"Lou babe about time you come out" Erica nearly shrieks in that god-awful voice of hers. By the way she draws out her words and the slight wobbliness of her walk I can tell she's already have quite a bit to drink, as usual. She grabs my hand and drags me inside the crowded house hosting tonight's party.

I chug my drink as fast as I can, realizing I was not drunk enough to deal with Erica, or anyone for that matter in my present state. I scan the crowded room to see the guest list. Its the usual subjects, a lot of the cheerleaders, most of the soccer team and football team, a familiar blonde head I know to be Niall's without even trying. Not spotting any timid freshman lurking around, I realize that Alexia and crew must not be lurking around.

Erica pulls me out to the dance floor and I oblige joining the masses of sweaty bodies pulsing to the beat of the music. I rest my hands on her hips as we dance, trying to focus on just being there and trying to prevent my mind for wandering. This doesn't happen however, and my mind continues to wander.

"Lou-eehhhh" Erica whines, "what are you doing?"

"Dancing with you Erica, what does it look like"

"You are like a freaking zombie" She turns to face me. "Why are you never any fun"

I roll my eyes. I need a drink. Or maybe ten. "I'm going to get a drink" I sigh and walk towards the kitchen, leaving Erica to dance with whoever else she deemed unzombie like.

I pour myself a shot. The alcohol burns as it goes down my throat, but I don't care. I pour another. Then another. My brain becomes a little more fuzzy. I pour one and finish it off by grabbing myself another beer. As I stand up from the chair I was sitting on, I feel the alcohol rush through my veins. The world is moving slower now, the bass seeming to pulse only every few minutes instead of constantly. I drag myself through the crowded people, searching for the skinny blonde I called my girlfriend. I spot Niall as I walk past, dancing with some girl practically on top of him, having the time of his life-I'm too drunk to care at this point, and walk right on past.

Then I spot her, although it can't possibly be her as she's practically lip-locked with some guy. I take a few steps closer, nope that's definitely Erica.

"Erica!" I half yell as I get closer to her. She turns and looks at me and gives me some sort of sick drunken smile. She breaks apart from the guy and takes a wobbly step towards me.

"Louis, I have been looking all over for you."

"What are you doing?"

"I'm having fun. I found someone who isn't a zombie Louis and you know what? It's so much more fun. So I think we are done. " She says in a stern voice.

"What do you mean done?" my drunk self responds, the alcohol starting to affect me more with every passing minute.

"I mean I'm breaking up with you silly. I don't want you to be my boyfriend anymore" She says and turns to start dancing with that guy again.

"You can't do that" I say but my voice comes out much softer than intended. But I don't feel like fighting it. My body heads towards the kitchen, grabs the half empty bottle of vodka sitting on the table and takes a chug so long it feels as if my throat is on fire. I stumble my way out of the kitchen, but see Erica on the way towards the door.

"I was gonna break up with you anyway!" I yell towards her, but I doubt I'm loud enough for her to hear. The edges of my vision become blurrier and I walk myself towards the street, trying to find my phone in my pocket. I hit Harry's number in hopes that he will respond.

Ring Ring Ring Ring

Hello you've reached Harry Styles leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Damnit Harry. I try again voicemail. I try Leah. Voicemail. I throw my phone down in the grass in front of me. Erica broke up with me. I would lose my social status like that. Would she ruin my reputation? Would people be alerted to the person I used to be?

I grab my phone absent-mindedly. I guess I'd just have to call until someone picked up.

************

I'm back!!! This semester has been crazy but my hopes for the summer are to update more than once every couple of months.  For those of you that continue to read, thank you so much!!!