Chapter 8

Niall places a warm hand on the small of my back as we walk into the restaurant.  It's a nice atmosphere, casual and cozy- an excellent choice for a first date. 

"7:30 reservation for Horan," he tells the waitress.

"Party of 2?" she asks back and Niall flashes me his million watt smile as he nods.  We follow the waitress to a small booth towards the back of the restaurant. After ordering our food, Niall starts with the gentle conversation.

"So why a doctor? I mean you want to be a doctor right?" he asks.

I am a little taken aback by the detail of his questions, but impressed that he remembered something I mentioned to him back on that first day I meant.  "I guess I just like the challenge, solving people's problems, helping them live a better life."

"And even your answer is perfect," Niall grins.  "Been to that Styles mansion yet? I hear it's incredible, and you have to be a science nerd to see it."

"Styles mansion? No...but I think that might be where our open house is next week. Why would it be at someone's house?"

"The Styles family is big on campus, donated a lot of money to the school. And their son studies something science. Don't know much about it to be honest. Not really my thing."

"And what is your thing exactly, Niall?"

"Pretty much just soccer. You should come to the game Saturday, it's just a practice match, but you can watch us kick some butt," he winks.

"I'll mark my calendar," I smile, pleased with my flirting abilities so far. 

Niall flashes back a smile in return. We continue our pleasant conversation after our food arrives.  I learn that Niall has an older brother and that he really does eat, breathe and sleep soccer.  I tell him about my passion for ballet, and how it's something that I hope to continue during college.  The night seems to be going perfectly until I hear a familiar voice enter the door. 

I look up to see none other than Louis Tomlinson with his Barbie-doll girlfriend wrapped around his arm.  At that moment, he happens to turn and start walking towards us.  Luck would have it they are seated at the table directly across from us.  I turn away quickly, hoping that by avoiding eye contact he will ignore me like every other time we've crossed paths. 

"Horan! Imagine seeing you here tonight," Louis says in that cocky voice of his. 

"Hey Tommo, hey Erica," Niall smiles back. 

"Alexia, glad to see you made it in time," Louis says with a tease.  I give him the look as if to tell him to leave me alone, and he seems to get the hint.  Erica does not. She gives me a look as though I'm trash at her feet. 

"You know Tommo well then?" Niall asks, sensing either the irritation or the fact that despite how irritating I found Louis I couldn't help but be jealous of his supermodel girlfriend. 

"We're lab partners for Chemistry class," I say with a sigh.

"Well unless your chemistry lab involves a soccer ball, can't imagine Tommo's much help."

"Exactly," I say with an eye roll.

"Well, I'm about ready if you are? I'll get the check.  Don't want to keep you out too late on a school night ya know."

"Ya of course," I nod in agreement, eager to leave the presence of Louis Tomlinson. 

Niall pays for the check and we head out of the restaurant, but I can't help but look back at Louis and Erica.  I catch eyes with Louis and he gives me a sarcastic smirk.  I turn back around and grab Niall's hand in my hand as we walk out of the restaurant, just to show Louis I could care less. 

Niall, being the gentleman that he is walks me back to my dorm.  There is a tension in the air, both of us not knowing what to expect in the upcoming moments and trying to imagine what the other is thinking.  We stop just before the stairs. 

"Listen Alexia, I had an amazing time tonight.  You are just as incredible as I thought when I first met you," Niall's voice seems to soften and I feel his body shift closer to mine.

"I had a really great time tonight too Niall.  Thank you," I feel like my last words barely come out above a whisper because I've been caught under the spell of Niall's baby blue eyes looking into mine. There is a silence for a moment and I see Niall's eyes glance at my lips. 

I feel his breath near mine and then feel his lips brush mine.  The kiss is gentle and smooth, but I still feel the warmth of Niall's body against mine.  Niall doesn't drag it out- maintaining his stature as a gentleman in my eyes. 

As we break apart Niall flashes me a soft smile.  "I'll talk to you soon?"

"Yes of course. Thank you again."

"Good night Alexia."

"Good night Niall."

***************

Author's Note

Thank you so much for reading my story! If you are enjoying the story, I hope you considering giving this chapter a vote.  I'd also love to hear what you think. (Do you ship Alexia and Niall?)