Chapter 37

Alexia POV

6:04pm.

I was supposed to meet Louis at six. The end of the semester was quickly approaching and we had only a matter of days  left to work on our final project. So where was Louis? I tap my pencil on the lab bench, beginning to grow impatient. We had agreed to meet at six so I would still have time to work on my General Biology homework before tomorrow. Louis and I had such a good relationship nowadays it wasn't like he would bail on me. Or would he?

My phone now reads 6:13pm

Still not a sign from Louis. Not a text, not a call, not even an email. For all I know he could be lying dead on the edge of the road somewhere never to be heard from again. I decide I can't wait all night, I'm going to text and see if he's coming. I type up the nicest text my annoyed brain can muster and click send. I wasn't trying to start a fight over this, I just wanted to get it done, honestly. 

6:27pm.

It's been nearly a half hour and there hasn't been anything from Louis. I begin to pack up my stuff, I wasn't about to wait up all night for this loser. And just when I had begun to think that we were turning over a new leaf. Louis had been so engaged lately it was like I had been matched up with a whole other person. But maybe that was too good to be true. 

I fling my backpack over my shoulder and head out of the lab. Turning the lights to darkness as I leave. He'd have some explaining to do later that's for sure. I'm annoyed with myself now, for letting a few good weeks convince me that Louis Tomlinson was a changed man. Louis Tomlinson wasn't a changed man at all, he was the same sports-addicted jock that taunted me on my very first day here. 

Marie notices my annoyance when I walk in the door. 

"Back early?" She says kindly. 

I nod and set my stuff on my desk, getting started on the millions of other things I need to get done before the end of the semester. Marie doesn't ask questions. We've lived together long enough that she can read me like a book, and annoyed Alexia is not the person that you want to cross paths with. 

It's 7:33 when my phone starts to vibrate, disrupting my study rhythm. I glance down at the illuminated screen, Louis Tomlinson lighting up across it just as I expected. I ignore the call. If he didn't have the decency to show up to work on a group project, I most definitely didn't owe him any more of my night to listen to his excuses and poor attempt at an apology. 

The phone begins to ring again, and once again I ignore it. The third time it rings Marie intervenes. "Are you going to answer that or are we just going to be listening to the vibrations the rest of the night?"

I shoot her a glare back but turn my phone onto silent. I see that this time Louis has left me a voicemail. I also see that he has texted me. Seven times to be exact. I want to sit and ignore them, but I've always been too curious for my own good.

Alexia I'm so sorry. I proper spaced.

Can you pick up your phone please?

Alexia, I know your just ignoring these calls please give me a chance to explain myself.

Alexia....

I know I messed up, just let me explain.

Can you just answer your phone?

Okay, I know you're ignoring me but please let me explain.

"What did he do this time?" Marie asks, and I realize the look on my face as I read the messages must have told it all. I turn to look at my friend and roll my eyes.

We don't even clarify what he we are talking about, anymore there only seemed to be one consuming my life anyway.

"He didn't show up to work on our project. It's like we finally get to a point where I think maybe I was wrong, and maybe he's actually a decent human being, and then he goes and messes everything up again." I sigh and run a hand through my hair.

Louis Tomlinson had done nothing but make this semester a living hell for me, toying with my emotions and my sanity too many times to count. But yet somehow, time and time again those words left his mouth in that beautiful British accent of his and I was in a trance. I hated the way he made me feel and I hated it even more that I didn't really hate it at all.

"You guys are like fire and water my god. Worse than an old married couple, my god." Marie laughs.

"We aren't a couple." I say with a stern voice.

"But you want to be," Marie smirks. "I wish the two of you would just admit it already and live your happily ever after."

I don't say anything anymore. No amount of me arguing would change Marie's mind. And in a way she was right, something about Louis drove me crazy, but in a way I couldn't understand.

"Well I'm not texting him back." I say firmly. This was something I was going to stick to.

"I didn't say you had to," Marie raises an eyebrow and smiles silently to herself. I had come to believe that she thought my life was a soap opera, and she was the number one viewer.

I turn back to my books and try to concentrate on the words in front of me. Meiosis. Mitosis. Independent Assortment. The words dance around my brain like snowflakes, but none seem to make sense. When I finally start to regain my focus, I'm interrupted again by a knock on the door.

I don't make any move to get up. It wasn't for me at this hour, it must have been one of Marie's friends come to drop off something.

"Who's that?" Marie asks, and I realize that maybe I'm wrong. I shrug my shoulders and Marie rises to open the door. I turn my head back into my book, realizing I had far more work left to do than I had originally thought.

I hear Marie faintly open the door. "Alexia" she calls to me, and I look to see none other than the bright blue eyes of Louis Tomlinson standing outside our door.

***************
Update #2 Coming later today!