Chapter 6

Alexia POV

I roll down my tights to cover my toes, slipping on my ballet shoes for what feels like the first time in weeks. Bending over to touch my toes, I feel the slight burning of a stretch in my hamstrings, a sensation I never thought I would miss.

I stand up throwing my iPod onto the dock next me and picking a playlist I think is suitable. I walk over to place my hand on the wooden bar staring at my body alignment in the mirror. It had been too long since I had felt the focus of ballet, the feeling of complete control over every aspect of my body. As the music begins to play, I begin to dance; relieving the stresses of the past few days from my mind. I wasn't thinking about college, or Chemistry, or whether I should text Niall Horan, I was only focused on holding my center and matching the music.

I soon develop a cool sweat and move to the center for turns and leaps, I don't even realize someone else has come in until I about smash them after landing a leap. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," I stutter, slightly out of breath from all my dancing.

The blonde girl looks at me, seeming very familiar. "It's okay, I was definitely the one in the way." She stares at me for a moment, as if trying to put some pieces together. "Okay we have definitely met before..."

"I'm Alexia" I say with a smile.

"Sierra- Oh I know I met you at the dance booth, fitting that we meet again here. Mind if I join in?"

"Go ahead. I'm about finished anyways, not taking as many classes a week has definitely made its impact on me." I grab my water and take a long drink. The water runs down my throat, cooling my body as it travels downwards. I head back to the center and cool down a bit, already feeling the soreness setting into my muscles. My mind, however, has a new clarity and calmness to it. What could I say, dance was definitley my stress reliever.

"It was nice to meet you Sierra, I will see you at class I am sure." I give her a wave as I exit the studio. The heat from outside immediately hits my body as I step out the doors, only adding to the already sticky feeling on my skin. I walk, mind clear and relieved, not thinking about the fact that I would have Chemistry class tomorrow and have to spend a few hours next to Louis Tomlinson.

I'm so calm that when I walk past Louis, at first I hardly give him a second glance. But then he he looks at me like I'm yesterday's trash. He doesn't acknowledge me or anything, he just walks right on by, because who would want to be associated with a stupid old freshman like me. Then I start to get annoyed again. I don't understand why am I so annoyed with a stupid jerk who happens to be my lab partner.

Marie senses my anger as I walk into the room, throwing my bag down on the bed. "I take it you aren't feeling any better?"

"Oh, I was. I was feeling so relieved, so de-stressed, but then I had to walk past Louis Tomlinson of all people," I say with frustration.

"And what did he say to you?" Marie asks.

"Nothing. He said absolutely nothing, he just ignored me. Like how on earth am I ever going to be able to get a project done with him when he won't even acknowledge my presence in passing? This is too much Marie." I lay down on my bed covering my head with my hands.

"Alexia," Marie begins, her voice turning slightly stern. "You are overthinking this whole chemistry thing. We have been at college less than a week and you already are paranoid about passing this class, don't you realize that you have a whole semester to get things with Louis panned out? Don't let that douchebag get to you, that's all he wants is to make life miserable for you. You need to get out and stop dwelling on that class!"

I look at Marie. She was right, but this is what I do. I let my mind focus on one bad aspect of my life and let it eat me up alive until it has consumed me. I overthink everything until its more complicated than it ever was to start with. The perfectionist inside of me refuses to let even the smallest of things stray from the best.

"And you are still thinking about it" Marie laughs. "Give me your phone," she sticks her hand out.

"What?"

"I said give me your phone Alexia, you need to get your mind out of this Chemistry class," Marie says sternly. I unobligingly give her my cell phone.

"What are you doing?" I ask, looking at the grin Marie has plastered on her face. She just smiles.

"Ok you can have it back now," she smiles and hands it back to me.

"What did you do?" I ask giving her an eyebrow raise.

"You'll see," Marie smirks. I set my phone down and lay on the bed again, exhausted from the stress of the day. A few minutes later the ting of a text message echoes from my phone. I look down at the illumination of the screen, indicating that I had a new text message from none other than Niall Horan.

"Marie." I say with a groan. My roommate just gives me a satisfied smile. I stare at her until she notices.

"What?" she asks innocently.

"Why did you do that?" I ask, trying to think of a way to reply to Niall's enthusiastic text asking how I am.

"I think the real question Alexia, is why haven't you done that yet?" she says dramatically.

"Marie, I don't need that kind of..."

"Are you blind?" Marie practically exclaims. "Here you have a very cute boy, who is obviously interested in you and you won't even give him a shot. He could be your soul mate and you wouldn't even know it."

"It's not that, it's just......" I sigh. "Every time a boy enters my life it just becomes more stressful, plus its college, he will expect a lot more than I can offer."

"A boy that's truly interested won't care if he's your first boyfriend or your thousandth," Marie says.

"And I suppose he won't care if your his ex-girlfriend's younger sister either?" I smirk.

"Still a work in progress....but hey don't change the subject we have a serious crisis on our hands." Marie shrills.

I stare down at my phone again, trying to figure out a way to get myself out of this mess but half hoping that Cupid would fly down from the heavens and instruct me on how to respond to this text.

"You are overthinking it," Marie prods.

"What?" I ask.

"Exactly. I haven't known you long Alexia but I know that face and that face means you are all up in your head. He is just asking how you are, you wouldn't take this long to reply if he asked you in person would you?"

I sigh. " I guess you are right."

"Phone." Marie offers out her hand, and I place the coveted object in her palm. "Now I am Niall Horan, so when I ask you a question, you are going to respond like we are having a real conversation. Hey Alexia how are you?"

I laugh at the stupidity of the exercise. "I'm doing pretty well, how are you?" I repeat back to "Niall".

Marie gives me a disapproving look, but looks down at my phone and presses send. "And now we wait", she states.

"You don't have anywhere else to be?" I ask, desperately trying to get out of the awkward events taking place in our dorm room.

Marie gives me a clever smirk. "I think creating a distraction for you is an important enough place to be, I've got all night."