Chapter 1

College. The first step to adulthood. A time to be independent. Some people say it's the time to party and some, like my parents, say it's the time to focus on your future. That's what my mom is once again lecturing me about as we begin to the boxes piling around the small dorm room that will become my home for the next year. My side of the room is completely bare, with white walls starkly contrasting the now colorful area that has been claimed by my roommate. 

"Now remember, you are at college to get an education. Use this time wisely," she says as she sets my shoes in the bottom of my closet- if you could call the small wooden wardrobe a closet.

"I know mom," I say with a roll of my eyes. The "talk" about what is expected of me this year, why my college experience has to be so focused on my academics, and how important this is for my future, has been given to me countless times in the weeks approaching move-in. 

"I'm just reminding you. It's not going to be easy. You will need to put some effort into what you do to be successful. I trust that you will make good decisions," she says. I nod. It's a lecture I could recite in my sleep and one that is quite unnecessary. I have always been a good student and I don't expect to fall from those graces anytime in the near future, I know what is at stake.

My mom insists on helping meticulously hang the pictures from home on my wall, a finishing touch that I could surely do later. She points to my dad, standing off to the side of the room, observing the whole ordeal, and orders him to hang up the string lights we had packed from home. As she finishes the pictures she goes on to make my bed, setting the silver sequin throw pillows just so as if we were showing off my room to a potential buyer. 

I sigh. All these little details seem like a lot of work for when my room will just become a mess in a week anyway, but I guess if my mom feels more at ease doing it this way,  I'll do it this way. On the outside, I try to seem engaged with the whole design process, but inside I'm itching for my parents to leave and to get some independence.

I've been waiting for this day for months, the day I would finally be out on my own. It isn't that I don't love living with my parents, but the constant nagging is something I am eager to have eliminated from my life. Although I won't admit it to my mother, I definitely am nervous about the transition to college and living up to all the expectations seemingly thrown upon me. But I'll figure it out, I always do. 

Mom appears to be finishing up her tidying phase and has taken a spot next to my dad to stare at her handiwork. My hot pink comforter is now perfectly complemented with silver pillows on my bed, while white string lights illuminate the space from above. I swear I see her eyes getting a little watery, and I know she's just as nervous as I am for me to be off on my own.

"I think it looks great," my dad adds in with a smile, obviously trying to cue to my mother that maybe it was their time to go.

"Call me later," my mom's voice hides back emotion as she wraps me in a hug. "I love you."

"Love you too," I say.

"Be smart," my dad says as he gives me a hug.

"I will," I repeat for what appears to be the fiftieth time.

"Okay, have fun!" my mom smiles at my roommate Marie as she sits on her bed. Then they finally leave the premises.

"Sorry about that," I smile at Marie as I plop down on my bed. She seems perfectly normal and at first glance it appears I ended up with a good roommate. I could breathe easy knowing that unless some crazy pothead was deep inside of her,  we should get along great. I had been lucky. I only hoped my crazy parents hadn't left too much of a bad impression on her.