Chapter 26

Alexia POV

"Hey there how do you think the test went?" Louis says as he slides into the lab bench beside me. He was on time again, the third time this week, and I wasn't quite sure what I thought of this new version of Louis.

"I think it was fine, got a little tripped up on that last problem though." I say flatly. Since when did Louis and I have conversations about our test?

"Ah yes, that was a tricky one wasn't it. Glad it went well for you." Louis smiles at me. I roll my eyes. Here we go again with the sarcasm.

"Can we just focus on the task today Louis? I have a lot going on tonight and it would be great if we were done with lab a little bit early." I say, startled by my own directness.

Louis looks at me, slightly taken aback. He nods and we continue working on our calculations. It's quiet for awhile, with us only speaking to each other when absolutely necessary. I'd love to admit that the peace and quiet was much needed, but it had the complete opposite effect on me, making my brain process my every action.

"So are you coming to the soccer game this weekend?" Louis asks, breaking the silence. His voice sounds almost hopeful, as if my presence at the game would somehow make his day a little bit better.

"I think Niall wanted me to. I will be there." I say. I think back to the last time I was at a soccer game, watching Niall and Louis out on the field. I never would have guessed how complicated my relationships between the teammates would become.

"Cool." Louis says and I can tell that answer made him happy. But why? This was not what I needed right now. I had made up my mind. I had made a promise to myself to stay focused and to not let distractions and uncertainties get in the way; and I intended to keep that promise.

"Going to be Niall's fan for the day then huh?" Louis continues. I knew that now was the time if there ever was one.

"Can we just stick to the project Louis? You don't have to make small talk with me, or ask me about my relationship because let's be honest-we both know that doesn't turn out well. We are lab partners, nothing more so if you have something to talk about that involves the subject of Chemistry I'm game, but everything else is out." My words come out sharp, and I almost feel the sting of them on my own tongue as they escape. But it had to be said. I was standing firmly on my decision and I wasn't letting Louis Tomlinson and his stupid accent do anything to persuade me otherwise.

"I'm sorry Alexia I just thought..." Louis starts. I give him an irritated look and he seems to get the hint because he turns his head back into his lab notebook.

Now an awkward silence falls over us. Soon we finish up our lab and pack our things. "See you" I say as I make a beeline towards the door, not wanting to be tempted by any further conversations with Louis. I'm halfway out the door when I hear footsteps approaching me. Quickly.

I turn to see Louis almost jogging towards me. "Alexia wait." He shouts, almost with desperation. I stop and turn to look at him. He stands ten feet apart from me and our eyes meet.

"I think I know why you are doing this Alexia, and just so you know...."

"I'm making a mistake, ya I know Louis, you've told me a million times." I say irritated that he would have the nerve to once again remind me of all my doubts. I turn to walk towards the door again.

"Actually I was going to say, just so you know I was just trying to stop acting like such an arse for once...nothing more." I fight every urge I have to turn around and look at him again. I resist. That didn't deserve my response. I move on, walking away from the building. I was walking away from Louis's constant criticism, his spitefulness, his ability to annoy every cell in my body at the same time. Then why did it feel like I was walking away from edge of the unknown. Why did it feel like I was making a wrong choice?

Louis POV

"Actually I was going to say, just so you know I was just trying to stop acting like such an arse for once....nothing more." The last words catch on the edge of my tongue and I know I'm lying. It doesn't seem to phase Alexia though. She doesn't even bother to turn around. She doesn't even look back.

I had to admit I was taken aback by her comment today. We were starting to get along for once-as improbable as that seemed. Dare I say I was beginning to enjoy the time I spent with her in Chemistry lab.

But today she had seem so distant. Withdrawn. Almost as if she was holding herself back. I know this feeling. I knew it far too well. The feeling when you are trying with all your might not to give in to an emotion. The feeling when you resist every chance of giving in to something. Some attraction, some feeling, some desire. It was hard. It was painful. It had been something I had now that I realize it, been doing for so many weeks now that I had barely realized I was doing it.

But I was a newly single man, and my doors had been opened. I had decided that for once in my life I would take Harry's advice, I would listen to someone that had it all together. And much to my disbelief, I had enjoyed this more free form of living. I didn't have to act like a jerk constantly to avoid showing my true colors. I didn't have to bury my thoughts deep within my brain. I was acting on these things

Okay-maybe I wasn't quite to the point of action. But realization is the first step to a solution right? It had become apparent to me that on some level, I did enjoy Alexia's company, not like in a 'I'm head heels for her' kind of way, but more in a 'Maybe she's not that bad and I should give her a shot' kind of way. So when she so harshly suggested that we should backtrack on any progress we seemed to have made over the past few weeks, I'd being lying to myself if it didn't sting a little.

I didn't know what was going on with her. Everything was going fine and then it wasn't. I'd said the right things, been the gentlemen Harry had practically threatened me to be and this is what I get in return? Basically an invitation to go back to acting like she didn't exist. That we both hated being paired with each other and that I was the worst thing to ever happen to her academic career.

I want to fight this too. I want to tell her that if she's doing this for Niall she's choosing wrong. But what proof do I have? What good is my word against his?

And so for once in my life I choose to not resist. If this is what life's throwing my way, I'll take it. If Alexia wants a lab partner, that's what she'll get. That's all she'll get.

********************************

Just a short little update! I promise there is way more Louis coming very soon ;) Also, thank you so much for all the votes and comments! I love reading them!