Chapter 4

The anticipation of what is to come is fresh on my mind as I take a seat next to Zayn in Chemistry. My lab partner was going to make or break my grade, or maybe more appropriately the work I would have to do. Get a good partner and I might enjoy chemistry, I wouldn't have to stress about doing all the work and getting it perfect. If I got a Zayn as a partner it could be fun.

But the thing about school was, someone would always do more work. That someone was usually me. I cared about what my grades were. I mean I was raised that A's were expected. I was one of those people who would end up doing all the work not because I wanted to, but because I knew that it was the only way to know that it was done right. I was sure this class would be no exception.

"Ready for this?" Zayn asks as I take a seat opening up my notebook and grabbing a pencil from my bag.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I say with a sarcastic roll of my eyes. I need to stop being so pessimistic I mean the professor had said someone with similar abilities. Surely that would leave me with a decent partner. I decide to take my mind off of the worry and turn to make small talk with my new found friend Zayn.

"I never asked you what you were majoring in."

"Oh, um philosophy and literature." Zayn says with a grin. What? Definitely not what I was expecting to come out of his mouth.

"And you are in this class why?" I ask. I can't believe someone with those types of majors would pick to take the freshman nightmare course of chemistry.

"I like science," he shrugs. "I guess I just like the challenge, the only way to better yourself is by putting yourself into new and uncomfortable situations."

"Very philosophical," I laugh. I liked Zayn.

"Okay we will begin class now," Professor Smithson echoes at the front of the room. I turn my attention to the white paper dangling from her hand. The paper that would determine my fate for the rest of the semester.

"Before I tell you who your partner is, I want to remind you all that you are all adults. There will be no complaints or adjustments. After you have been paired up please go to the lab bench I have assigned you. I have a short activity that I would like you to complete to get to know each other and to help you schedule your project. Today will once again be a short day but starting on Tuesday, we will begin normal lab procedures." A few groans ricochet through the room. I guess you couldn't stop a room of college students from complaining.

"At Lab 1: Zayn Malik and Natalie Woodson," I look at Zayn for his reaction. The girl who stands up has short brown hair and glasses. She looks smart, not to judge a book by its cover. Zayn gives me a sympathetic smile.

"Good luck," he whispers before grabbing his stuff and moving toward the lab benches.

More and more names are called and I find myself glancing around the room. I don't know any of these students but everytime a name other than my own is called I look to see who remains. Soon there are only a handful of students remaining. I hope they are smart.

"Louis Tomlinson and Alexia Hollaway Lab 9." For a moment I nod and just smile. Then I realize what was just said. I was paired up with Louis Tomlinson, the one person who Zayn had said you didn't want to be with. I grab my stuff and begin walking toward the bench but a million thoughts race through my mind. How did I get stuck with the guy who failed this class last year. Surely I am not the dumbest student in here, I can't be.

I set my stuff on the bench and look down at the sheet in front of me. I hear footsteps and know that he is there. His books slam down on the bench and I hear the thud of his body landing on the stool beside me. I don't look up, he's probably furious he's partnered up with me. Actually, he is probably thrilled. I'll do all the work and he can fly through this class without a second thought.