Chapter 44

Alexia POV

"What's got you all hot and bothered?" Marie asks as I rush down the stairs to see what is going on.

"Nothing." I say quickly, wondering what on earth my face looks like to have Marie asking questions. Of course I was hot and bothered, I just about kissed Louis Tomlinson in what I just found out was his bedroom in Harry Styles house. I just about did something that would have changed how Louis looked at me for the rest of the semester. I was saved by the bell I guess.

Marie gives me the look she always does when she isn't convinced of my answers. I give in.

"I'll tell you later. Now what's the situation?" I survey the room for Liam and Sophia. Sometimes I wished my friend wasn't so enthralled with her sister's boyfriend. It would save us a lot of drama, and my moment with Louis wouldn't be ruined. But Marie was Marie and as much as she'd been there for me this year, I was going to be there for her. Even if it all was a little crazy and complicated and not quite thought out.

"So Sophia left. She stormed out. I don't know what happened but I think she and Liam got in an argument and now Liam is crazy trashed and I feel like we should do something." Marie's words fly out of her mouth almost too fast for my ears to catch. 

"And what do you think you are going to do Marie? This isn't some friend of yours. This is your sister's boyfriend who you just happen to be madly in love with," I whisper harshly in her ear. This was just the kind of thing Marie shouldn't be doing. Getting involved with Sophia's business was not going to make their relationship any stronger from what I knew about it. 

"We can't just let him fend for himself. We have to get him home or something." Marie looks desperate.

"You don't think that's crossing a line?" I muse, although of all people I shouldn't be the one questioning my friend on crossing a line-especially when it came to helping out drunk almost strangers. 

"Sophia can be a real pain sometimes. Liam deserves better than that. I'm just helping him out so she doesn't regret it in the morning." Marie says, but I know she's having a hard time convincing herself that she is doing this simply as a favor to her older sister and not because she is secretly in love with Liam Payne.

"Well then what are we going to do?" I ask, looking towards my friend.

"Let's try to get him out of here. C'mon." She motions to me and we head to where Liam appears to now be passed out on the couch. I pray to God Marie doesn't think we are carrying the man out of here.

"Liam," Marie says softly shaking the man in front of her. He stirs and looks at her.

"Sophia?" he asks confused. I see Marie's face cringe for a moment as being confused with her sister.

"No, it's Marie" she says quickly. Liam's drunken face thinks for a moment and then flashes with recognition. 

"Oh, Sophia's little sis. What are you doing here Marie? Where's Sophia, I need to apologize to her," Liam slurs. My heart aches for my friend. I'm not sure what made her think this was going to be a good idea, but it was already going south. 

"Sophia ditched you Liam. But you need to get home, you're a bit tipsy."

"I'm fine." Liam says as he starts to sit up but struggles to get to his feet without gripping the couch. Marie lets out a giggle. 

"You most definitely are not." 

"Hey now Marie, don't make fun of the elders." Liam fights back through his slow words. He takes a step forward but nearly falls down. 

"Here, we'll help you." Marie says offering her shoulder for Liam to lean on. She motions to me with her head to offer my shoulder and with hesitation I do, hoisting Liam up like he's some injured athlete leaving the field. 

"Who are you?" Liam says in my face and I'm taken aback by the harsh scent of liquor on his breath. 

"This is my friend Alexia."

"Knew you looked familiar. You're that freshman Tomlinson left Erica for." I feel heat rise in my cheeks. Was that a rumor circulating around? Because it was far from the truth.

"Louis and Alexia aren't dating." Marie butts in quickly, sensing my discomfort. 

"Just what Erica said. I don't mess around in all the dating politics." Liam states and I can't help but laugh at the fact that Liam Payne is talking to us about who is dating who. He really was out of it. 

I see Louis out of the corner of my eye as we walk towards the door. I try and turn my head away before he can see us, but I'm not quick enough. He hobbles over to us, a rather confused look in his eyes.

"Do you guys need some help?" He asks looking concerned. I'm sure the sight was rather hysterical, us trying to carry a man much larger than the two of us across campus. 

"I think we are okay. Thanks Louis." I say with a smile. My mind flashes back to the almost moment we shared earlier, but I shake it from my mind before it can stick. 

"If you need help let me know." I look down at his crutches and raise an eyebrow. "I'll summon one of the guys." I give him a nod and Marie and continue our effort of hosting Liam along, only setting him down to grab our coats.

"Umm, are you and Louis speaking again?" Marie asks as we throw on our winter gear. 

"I guess so..." I mumble, trying not to reveal to much to my friend.

"So he's the reason. Something happened. You have to tell me." She says eyes filled with excitement. 

"Let's take care of problem number one first," I say pointing to Liam looking drunk as ever on the bench across from us. "Your star-crossed lover."

Marie rolls her eyes at me as we hoist Liam back up and help him back to safety of his own home. 

***********************