Chapter 23

Louis POV

I arrive at the Chemistry lab at 5:50, ten minutes early.  I give myself a mental pat on the back when I realize that I have actually beat Alexia here.  To be completely honest, I wasn't thrilled at the idea of having to work on this godforsaken chemistry project, and I also wasn't thrilled about the fact that Harry had told me to be on my best behavior.  I did, however, understand that to some degree I owed Alexia for picking me up last night, so I guess playing Mr. Nice Guy for a few hours wouldn't kill me. 

I pull out the giant rock of a textbook we have for the class and open it up to one of the chapters for the upcoming test.  I hadn't studied at all, and the test looming later this week was already causing me a little bit of concern.  I guess now that I didn't have Erica to worry about I could devote a little more time to my studies. 

I hear footsteps come through the door and look up to see Alexia walking in.  "Hey" I say looking towards her.

"Hi" she just says and sets down her backpack next to me, pulling out her stuff for chemistry.  "You are here early" she half mumbles and I can tell that she is just as surprised as I am that I'm in the chemistry lab at a designated meeting time, especially on a Saturday night. 

"Just figured we should get some work done, you know with midterms coming up and all" I say.  Wow did I really sound like a different person saying those words.  "Listen Alexia about last night..." I start to say.

"It's fine Louis." She says shortly, obviously not interested in hearing what I had to say. 

"Hey now I was just going to say thank you" The look on her face is incredulous, as if she can't believe the words have actually come out of my mouth.  I can't believe this load of crap is either.  But I did promise Harry, and he wasn't someone I was going to break a promise to. "I don't really remember much to be honest, but it was really nice of you to come pick me up."

There is a moment of silence, Alexia bites her lip and I can tell that she is mentally deliberating on whether or not she should say something.  "Did you and Erica really break up?" she asks timidly.

"What's it to you?" I say harshly, and then realize my tone.  This is exactly what Harry said I shouldn't do.  "I mean, what Hollaway are you looking to pounce?" She rolls her eyes at my comment. 

"I was just asking. Good to see that you haven't totally lost your sass" She half laughs.

"Yes, we really broke up" I say, avoiding eye contact with her for a moment. She doesn't say anything for a minute and we sit in silence, allowing me to think though my thoughts. 

"And are you okay with that? I mean last night you seemed pretty upset and I.." she stops herself suddenly, as if she was about to say something that she would regret. 

"Yes I'm okay with it. Actually I'm more than okay.  I feel like this whole time I was with Erica I had to fit in this mold.  I had to act like someone I wasn't and do things I didn't like myself for doing and oh my god hanging out with her friends was the absolute worst.  Like have you ever met Sophia? or her boyfriend Liam Payne? That guy is the kind of guy you don't want to piss off, like if I ran into him in a dark alley at night I don't know if I'd make it out alive."  Alexia starts to laugh, her eyes crinkling up in a smile.  She had a cute laugh, not too high pitched, not raspy, just one that was light and playful and made you want to smile along with her. 

"What's so funny?" I ask raising my eyebrows, wondering what I could have possibly just said that she would find so funny. 

"Liam Payne." she continues to giggle.  "My roommate is Sophia's sister and she's like totally obsessed with Liam.  She swears his some sweet innocent guy with just a few rough edges waiting to be smoothed out."