Burn like a star

Trigger warning ⚠ :Mention of death, rape, etc, etc. You guys know what kind of stuff. In a word, not a happy scenario.

Roan held the bruised body of her best and perhaps only friend. Tears spilled on to Harley's bluish face. Roan made no attempt to wipe them Off. A hand grabbed her from behind at that moment.

Roan sat up straight in bed with an ear shattering scream. Harley woke up along with the rest of the orphanage. She hurried to hug her friend, who now had silent tears flowing down her cheek.

The warden was scolding Roan for waking them in the middle of the night These people either have zero awareness of mental health or doesn't give a fuck, Harley thought. Probably both.

Neither of the girls paid attention to the hurtful words. Roan was desperately clinging onto her best friend, assuring herself again and again that Harley is alive.
"You are okay. I'm fine .Just a nightmare " Harley whispered into the girl's hair wet with sweat.

Harley was not fine. And Roan was not okay. Because her nightmare was not really just a nightmare. Still Roan let herself get coaxed into sleep by the sweet words of her friend.

•¤¤•¤¤•¤••••¤•¤¤•¤¤•

Harley was sure something was seriously wrong when she woke up to the screams of her best friend. Roan had stopped having nightmares after she killed him.

That's right. Harley wasn't joking when she casually talked of committing her second murder. She have really killed someone at the tender age of 10. She struck the man's chest with a syringe full of air and then made the perforation vanish with magic. The police decided it was a heart attack. Only Harley and Roan knew.

The man she killed was the head of the orphanage. He was a man in mid forties with a yellow smile and eyes that stayed too long where they shouldn't have. And he had a favorite time pass that included locking himself up in a room with girls and sometimes even young boys.

Harley was in that room multiple times. And Roan too. Many a times the girls would find each other unconscious ; covered in bruises , bite marks and scratches ; and dressed in torn clothes. Many times they have had to help each other to pull themself together.

Once, some people came to give a speech on women empowerment and all at their school. They asked the children to report any kind of abuse. They said they will help them.

They did not help.
Harley and Roan told them of what happens in the orphanage. They scoffed. When the girls insisted they were forced out- kicked out - with welts on their cheeks.

Later the man called them to the room. He knew. He knew what they said. And he was mad. Very mad.

After that night Harley realized something : no one would help them . So she took the matter into her hands.

So yes, Harley is a murderer. And she doesn't regret it. Because her actions made her friend safe.

But now ,it seems like Roan was not safe afterall. Something had happened in the year she was away. Or someone. Maybe Harley would have to get another syringe.

.......................

Harley spent every minute she could by Roan's side, yet she had no idea what was bothering her. Harley was sure someone was hurting her. Roan denied it every time.

But Roan's lack of explanation in itself was a proof that something terrible happened. Before, no matter what happened Roan would have told her. Was her time at Hogwarts driving a wedge between them?

Roan would laugh and smile but Harley could see it for what it was. Fake. And that it was for her sake. So that Harley won't worry. But Harley was worried. She didn't want her best friend to hide things from her, especially her pain, for Harley's happiness.

Harley wanted to help so bad, it was like a physical ache in her. But Roan wasn't letting her . And that hurt her even more.

As much as Harley tried she couldn't find anyone suspicious. Why would anyone hide their intentions from her, when she was nothing but another helpless little girl? So Harley was down to the conclusion that who ever it was, wasn't in the orphanage at present.

They were both working in a grocery store this summer .Perhaps, Harley thought , it is someone here?
But she found no clues. If only her best friend trusted her enough to open up.

But Harley didn't really blame Roan. It was her own fault in a way. If she was a good friend, she'd give up Hogwarts for Roan's safety. But she was a selfish slytherin.

Roan probably didn't tell her anything because she'd leave once this summer was over. Harley felt horrible to leave her behind in this hell while she was happy at Hogwarts.

.....................

Roan knew what Harley was trying to do. She was looking for the one who was hurting her. But how would Harley know that it wasn't just one person? How would she know that the girls in the orphanage were dressed up and sold for nights?
No Harley did not know and she could not know.

Roan knew Harley regretted going to that witch school. That Harley was contemplating staying behind. True, Roan missed her, her soothing voice and the warmth of her arms, but she wasn't selfish enough to keep her here, keep her chained to her in this hell. Where she would rot along with her.

Roan was already dirty. She couldn't let Harley, her pure sweet Harley, get dirty. It was a miracle that Harley kept her individuality and brilliance even after all that happened before. A miracle that she was still innocent after killing someone. Harley was the light in dark. She was to Roan a pole star. She was Roan's Polaris.

So Roan pretend. She laughed and smiled and cracked jokes. But she couldn't stop the nightmares. And so every night she went to sleep in Harley's arms, seeing the vegenful expression. Roan was helpless. Try as she might, Harley sensed her distress.

So she hid the true reason. She told the adults that if Harley knew she'd expose them to everyone at the new school .So they did nothing during the summer.

But Roan knew things will be worse than before when the summer was over. But she didn't mind. At least her nightmare won't come true. At least Harley will be safe.

And for now, she'd just enjoy the time she has with her best friend, her only family.