THE DARK MARK

Harley was a bit lost while looking for the golden trio. She was about to use a charm to find Harry when she heard a voice shout an incantation -MORSMORDRE .

A vast ,green ,glittering ray shot up towards the sky somewhere ahead of her. A fraction of a second later it formed a glittering green version of the dark mark. Harley felt her heart drop into her gut.

A very devoted death eater is somewhere around here. And so is Harry.
Sounds of screams erupted around her.

She had to find him. And quick. Harley with her wand extended in a defensive position, rushed towards the general direction of the mark.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

“STUPEFY!” roared twenty voices — there was a blinding series of flashes and Harry felt the hair on his head ripple as though a powerful wind had swept the clearing.

Raising his head a fraction of an inch he saw jets of fiery red light flying over them from the wizards’ wands, crossing one another, bouncing off tree trunks, rebounding into the darkness —

“Potrego” yelped a panicked , familiar voice from the darkness the same time another voice he recognized yelled “Stop. STOP! That’s my son!”

Mr Weasley came towards them while a couple of wizards meant cautiously towards where the voice had came from. But they didn't have to go far because the owner of the voice -Harley- was coming out of the woods by herself.

Harry watched in horror as twenty full grown wizards pointed their wands at his sister. Harley who had always looked completely relaxed, now appeared to be very much shaken . She raised her arms in surrender as the wizards surrounded her.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Harley was afraid. There's no point in denying that . She had to struggle to keep her hands from shaking as she raised them above her head. It wasn't just her fear for being persecuted, she was more afraid of what will happen to Sirius if these people decided that she was guilty. It would jeopardize his chances. No. She won't let it happen.

Harley took a deep breath, forcing herself to concentrate on the present, on the details, on the wizards around her. She needed to keep her cool. She had to think and quick, make up answers if their questions can't be answered truthfully.

Barty Crouch was looking at her and at the golden trio alternatingly. His face was taut with rage.
“Which of you did it?” he snapped, his  sharp eyes darting between them.
“Which of you conjured the Dark Mark?”

"We didn't do anything " said Ron the same time Harry said "We didn't do that " while pointing at the dark mark.

Mr Crouch turned to Harley.
"It was you wasn't it? You're that Black's spawn —"

"What if I am? I didn't do anything. And my father is no Deatheater like you are implying "Harley cut him off.

"What were you doing here if not conjuring the dark mark? "
Harley contemplated her options and opted to say the truth. Or at least partial truth.

"I was following them" Harley gestured to the trio.
"And why were you doing that ,miss? " Asked a short, balding, grey haired wizard. 

"To protect them. Because my father asked me to ."
"Sirius Black asked you to protect Harry Potter? "

"Yes. Incase you forgot, my father is Harry's godfather. And despite your beliefs he is no traitor. "
"Of course I didn't -"

"Admit your crime miss Black." interrupted Mr Crouch. "you were caught red handed at the crime scene"

Harley looked at her hands. As if checking it was literally red.
"No one caught me red handed. I came just when you people did"

"Do not lie, young lady" Mr Crouch almost shouted into her face. Harley purposefully flinched. She was no stranger to being shouted at, nor was she scared. But the other Aurors didn't look like they suspected her much. And making them sympathize for her would be advantageous.

“Barty,” whispered a witch in a long woolen dressing gown, “ she's just a kid, Barty, she’d never have been able to —”
“Where did the Mark come from, you three?”  Mr. Weasley asked the trio.

“Over there,” said Hermione shakily, pointing at the place where they had heard the voice.
“There was someone behind the trees . . . they shouted words — an incantation —”

“Oh, stood over there, did they?” said Mr. Crouch, turning his popping eyes
on Hermione now, disbelief etched all over his face. “Said an incantation, did they? You seem very well informed about how that Mark is summoned, missy —”

But none of the Ministry wizards apart from Mr. Crouch seemed to think it remotely likely that Harry, Ron, or Hermione had conjured the skull; on the contrary, at Hermione’s words, they had all raised their wands again and were pointing in the direction she had indicated, squinting through the dark trees.

Harley was grateful for Hermione's words as the aurors stepped away from her.
“We’re too late,” said the witch in the woolen dressing gown, shaking her
head. “They’ll have Disapparated.”

“I don’t think so,” said a wizard with a scrubby brown beard. “Our Stunners went right through those trees. . . . That's how we spotted this girl remember? There’s a good chance we got them since we didn't see any sort of defense from that direction. . . .”

A couple of moments later an unconscious house-elf, Mr Crouch's apparently, was brought out from the woods and laid at his feet. A couple of minutes later Ludo Batman joined them.

The elf was revived and questioned. The elf desperately denied the accusations. But she was found with a wand - Harry's it turned out - which was used to summon the mark.

While Hermione defended the elf saying that it was a human and not an elf who cast the spell, Crouch was determined to punish the elf.