Unicorns

Harley had always guessed that Hagrid was some part giant, the same way she was guessing that Draco Malfoy was some part veela. A couple of days ago, she wasn't sure about either.
But now that whole wizarding society was sure of one of the two. Hagrid was apparently a half giant.

Needless to say, Harley wasn't very surprised when there was a new substitute professor for care of magical creatures. But that didn't mean that she liked the new professor.

The distaste had nothing to do with the professor, or her teaching way , or the animal she'd brought (she'd take unicorn over blast ended skrewts any day). But it had everything to do with the hurt feelings of her dear friend.

Anabiel had nearly squealed when she saw the unicorn, earning strange looks from Gregory. Harley glared at him to make sure that he didn't comment on it. Anabiel, as Harley had came to understand, loved everything horse. Her greatest wish was to ride a unicorn (which Harley didn't think was very likely to be completed)

But as Ana moved towards the unicorn, the professor struck out a hand stopping her, saying that the boys should stay back because the unicorns preferred a women's touch. The expression of hurt on Anabiel's face, reminded Harley of Roan, and she had to apply great mental restraint to stop herself from lashing out at the ugly witch.

Anabiel was as much a girl as Harley was, or perhaps more of a girl than her. The unicorn, if they really were as pure as they were thought to be, would not squirm from Anabiel's touch. If it did, well ...it just wouldn't.

Harley stayed back with Anabiel, while others girls moved towards the unicorn along with the professor. Pansy only noticed Harley's absence after taking a couple of steps, and would have came back, if they hadn't asked her to go ahead.

Harley interlocked her fingers with Anabiel's, offering her the only thing she could : her silent yet unwavering support.

If it were up to Harley, she'd announce that Anabiel was a girl and challenge anyone who opposed to a duel. (Not that many students would accept a duel with her, unless they didn't want to live anymore that is. )

But for all that it mattered, the choice was not up to Harley. It was Anabiel's .
Only she got to choose what to do in this situation, it was her life and her decisions. There was nothing Harley could do about that, except support her decision.
So if Anabiel chose to stay silent and keep pretending to be a guy, Harley would help her perfect her act.

As the two of them stood with the boys, Harley couldn't help but overhear the conversation between Draco and Harry. The way Malfoy chose to taunt Harry was mostly childish to say the least.

Yet he always, always managed to find the topic most upsetting to Harry . In a way, Draco knew Harry better than his twin herself. Which was quite a good move on Draco's part, after all there's  a saying that 'hold your friends close and your enemies closer'.

But honestly Harley didn't know whether to slap some sense into Draco or slap herself for even thinking of him as smart, when she read the part in Skeeters article in which Vincent got bitten by a Flobber worm.

Honestly if you are going to spew crap, at least cover your bases! How the hell is a Flobberworm supposed to bite someone ?anyone with a bare minimum of knowledge could see that it's total bull. He could've simply talked of the blast ended skrewts ,they were perfect nightmare material.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

"Are you sure it's a good plan? "
Harley asked.
"It's the best plan" Pansy replied with a shrug.

Harley narrowed her eyes.
"Really? I can think of at least ten different ways it'll blow up on our faces"

"I never said foolproof. Just the best, because let's see..... Because we don't really have any other plans? Also aren't you supposed to be the smartest damn being alive or something?"