Chapter Thirty-Six: Danger Magnet

I woke up to find that the drip had been removed and my body wasn't hurting as much as yesterday. I realised that I was in my pyjamas and a bandage wrapped around my broken ribs. I stretched just to see where I was hurting and surprising apart from the odd dull ache there wasn't major pain. I saw that the part of the bed next to me was messed up indicating that Drew had stayed over.

I was a little sad that he left, but I couldn't ask him for anything more. I decided to go for a shower and let the warm heal some of the minor injuries. I dressed simply; just jeans and a loose top and jumper. I left my hair down and just wore plain studs in my ears. I didn't bother with any makeup, I usually never did.

Carefully I made my way down to the kitchen only to find both Drew and Jeremy standing in the kitchen chatting amicably. I think they were making something?

"Uh hi?" I said, frowning.

"Oh Maddi good you're awake! I was just about to leave and pretty boy over here will take you to school." Jeremy explained.

"Oh okay. Thanks for staying." I hugged him tightly.

"He's a keeper." Jeremy whispered in my ear. I blushed as he winked.

"Bye Drew, take care of her will you." He kissed my cheek and left. Drew walked over to me and held me in his arms.

"Good morning." He kissed my forehead.

"Good morning to you too. So what's cooking?" I leaned over his shoulder to see what he was making.

"I'm making waffles." He replied.

"Ooh nice, I can't wait." I said excitedly.

"How about you sit down and I'll bring it for you." He offered.

"Aww you're so sweet Drew, thanks." I pinched his cheeks and plopped my butt down on the island stool. I waited patiently as he plated up the breakfast.

When he put it down in front of me I just stared at it. "Aren't you going to eat it?" Drew asked.

"No." I replied, still staring at the plate.

"Why not?" He sounded hurt.

"Because it looks too nice to eat." I admitted. He laughed, that deep, rich laugh that caused my stomach to flip flop.

"Let's just hope it tastes just as nice." He cut his waffle and stabbed it with a fork. Just as he was going to put it in his mouth he frowned. He reached over and cut my still untouched waffle. I gasped as the fork broke the delicious golden waffle.

"What are you okay?" He looked worried.

"You cut my waffle!" I accused. He chuckled and raised his hands in a 'I don't mean any harm' kind if way. I giggled as he made a funny face.

"Just eat it Maddi." He sighed. I picked up my fork and stabbed the cut piece of waffle. As I put it on my mouth I closed my eyes and moaned. It may have sounded weird but I didn't care because it was amazing. It was the lightest, fluffiest and tastiest waffles I have ever tasted.

"Do you like it?" He looked worried, he shouldn't have been but he was.

"Yes!" I said excitedly. "It's the best waffles I have ever tasted! What flavour is it?"

"Well the Betty Crocker packet said caramel. I just added some vanilla and golden syrup on top. The strawberries were just extra." He shrugged.

"Wait you made this from a ready made packet?" I frowned at him.

"Uh yeah?" He looked at me.

"Well, thank you Betty Crocker!" I glared at him. "And here I was praising you." I cut my waffle and began shovelling it down as I realised we were going to be late for school.