Chapter Sixteen: Girl's Night

"You know what we need?" Taylor said as we exited the school building.

"What?" 

"A girl's night. It's been such a long time since it's been just you and me." She grinned at me.

"Sounds good to me." I smiled back at her as I got into my car.

"I'm going to raid your mom's beauty drawer, you can get the snacks. I want a Diet Coke." She told me as I parked in the driveway. 

"You got it." I headed to the kitchen while she kicked off her shoes and ran upstairs. 

I grabbed some cheese and butter from the fridge and bread from the countertop. I was in the process of making the second grilled cheese when I felt hands wrap around my waist. Smiling, I turned to face Drew.

"What are you doing here? How did you get in?" I asked, frowning.

"I wanted to see you. Didn't get a chance to talk today. I wanted to see how you were doing." He smiled.

"You can see that I'm fine. You can go now." I tried to push him away but he stayed still. Instead, he leaned closer into me. Our eyes were locked onto each other as we stood still. My breath caught in my throat as he angled his head closer to mine. He smiled slowly as our lips barely grazed each other.

Suddenly there was a distance between us and Drew was leaning against the kitchen island, a sandwich in his hands. I rolled my eyes.

He took a large bite of the sandwich before leaving the kitchen.

"Not bad Davis. Not bad," he chuckled. "You have got to hide your spare key in a better location. Under the floormat isn't exactly original." 

"Okay, whatever Cooper. Now get the hell out of here before Taylor comes down." 

"I'm going. Stay safe." He smiled before he left. 

"Maddi, what's taking you so long?" Taylor shouted.

"I'm coming!" I replied. I headed back to the kitchen to quickly make another grilled cheese before grabbing some drinks from the fridge. 

The moment I entered my bedroom, she grabbed a plate from hand and then proceed to take a bite of the hot food. "You know I love your grilled cheese. This is so good oh my gosh. You're the best!" She said, her words partially muffled by the food in her mouth.

"Yeah, yeah alright. Relax. Don't eat with your mouth full, you're going to choke." I rolled my eyes. 

"So what's the deal with Drew?" 

"What do you mean?" 

"Don't play coy with me. Don't think I didn't I didn't notice you two sneaking off last night." She looked at me. 

"We're just friends." I rolled my eyes, taking a bite out of my own sandwich. 

"Friends? A few days ago you were mortal enemies. What changed?" She scoffed.

"I don't know. I honestly don't know." I sighed, setting my sandwich on the side table. 

"Okay then, what about Daniel? Don't you think you are moving too fast? You just met and you're already dating?" 

"I know him. He was my best friend." 

"Yeah a long time ago. He's probably different now. You were just kids." 

"No, I know him. He's great." I smiled.

"Sure, and that's why he was hanging out with you yesterday." she shot me a deadpan look.