Chapter Three: Buttercup

"Ethan, I can go to the nurse's office by myself."

"Yeah, I know that. I just don't trust you to make it there." He smirked.

For the second time today, I found myself falling to the ground. My injured hand hit the ground first to break my fall. Pain shot up from my wrist to my shoulder. I groaned. 

"Maddie are you okay?" Ethan cried out.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I muttered in response. Angrily I looked up at the person who barged into me. "Do need glasses or something?" 

"What?" The guy replied.

"I said, do you need glasses?" 

"No. What's your problem?" He frowned at me.

"What's my problem?"I scrambled up. "You're the one who clearly can't see where they're going because you just barged into me."

"Why don't you look where you're going? I could say that you bumped into me." He smirked.

"Listen here, mister. Apologise and we'll forget about this incident."

"I'm not going to apologise for something that's clearly your fault." 

"My fault? This was not my fault and I will definitely not be apologising for anything." 

"Well, then I think we're at an impasse." He stared at me. 

"I guess we are," I said through my teeth, staring defiantly back at him. 

"Come on Maddie, let's just go get your hand looked at." Ethan said steering me away from the guy. As tempting as it was to land a solid hit on his face, I knew that I'd only be aggravating my injury so I settled for a death glare instead.

"Yes Maddie, just go." He sneered. 

"Such a jerk!" I muttered.

"You're too hotheaded for your own good Mads. You need to relax once in a while."

"I am relaxed." I protested.

"Yeah sure." He just nodded.

The nurse examined my wrist and declared that I had only sprained the joint and I was free to go with just a bandage.

"What happened to your hand?" Taylor asked as she saw the bandage around my fingers.

"I punched the lockers," I said nonchalantly. 

"What? Why?" She said shaking her head and rolling her eyes at my idiocy.

"Ethan, why don't you tell her?" I suggested.

"Well just before the summer Natalia broke up with me before I found out that she had cheated on me." He said quietly.

"Wait, you never told me that she cheated on you." I frowned. He just shrugged.

"That bitch." Taylor scowled. "Honestly though, she's not worth your time and emotions. I saw her last period and I almost didn't recognise her. Those highlights are terrible, she should sue her hairdresser." Taylor did not hold back. She didn't have a filter for her thoughts, but that's why I loved her. She was blunt and honest, two things I respected. 

"Class settle down now." Miss Owens said to the class. "Since some of you are new here I'd like for all to introduce ourselves with our name and something we like. I'll start, I'm Miss Owens and I like to read."

Taylor stood up before clearing her throat. "I'm Taylor Walker and I like shopping." 

"I'm Maddie. I like to surf."