Chapter Nineteen: Confessions Of A Teenage Surfer

My best friend had fallen in love with me. That was the thought that was echoing in my mind.

"Maddi say something." Daniel pleaded. I was still processing the fact that he loved me. He loved me the same way I loved him.

"I'm sorry! Maybe it was too soon. Maybe I was pushing too hard. I get it you just want to be best friends..." Daniel rambled.

"I love you too."

"And that you only love me as a friend... Wait what?"

"I love you too silly." I repeated, giggling. Daniel placed his hands on with side of my face and pulled me close. I closed my eyes as his lips got closer to mine. Just as I could feel his lips brush mine a phone rang.

Daniel dug into his pockets to retrieve his phone. He looked at me, apologetically when he read the caller id. "I have to get this" he said with no other explanation. Pressing the answer button, he walked out the room.

I was on the way to the living room when I heard his conversation.

"No I can't do the job. I'm busy right now. Just get Billy to do it. Make sure the police don't get there as the exchange happens." I heard him say. Who was Billy? What exchange? What was Daniel doing that was illegal?

"Get the job done. Bye." the end button sound came through the door and I quickly made my way to my original destination.

The sound of footsteps told me that Daniel had walked in. "So who was that?" I asked, innocently.

"Oh... Uh... It was my cousin... He was telling me that he might come down to visit soon." he lied. But I didn't want him to know that I overheard him so I let it go.

"So where were we?" he asked while jumping onto the couch.

"Right about here." I replied bring my lips close to his. We jumped apart when the front door opened.

"Maddi? I'm home!" My mom called. I groaned as we were interrupted again. Daniel lightly chuckled.

"Oh hello Daniel. Didn't expect you here today."

"Well Mrs Davis, I used to come round to your house in Michigan all the time." Daniel cheekily replied.

"That you did." she laughed. "So what were you guys doing?" she winked.

"Mom! We weren't doing anything." I exclaimed.

"If you say so. I'm going to start making dinner then. I'll let you kids get back to whatever you were doing before." She shouted, while walking to the kitchen.

"Maddi, may I take you out for dinner tomorrow?" Daniel asked sincerely.

"Of course, I'd love to." I giggled. I'm turning into such a girly girl. Daniel's phone beeped again, but this time for a text message.

"I have to go, Jamie's mom is expecting me for dinner so I have to go now." he said after reading the text.

"Can't you stay for dinner here?" I asked, a little upset.

"I would love to but I already promised I'd spend tonight with them." He got up and picked up his jacket.

"I'll see you morning. I'll pick you up at 7.30" Daniel called as he opened the door.

"Ok." I said quietly as he got into his car. I stood at the door to wave before going back inside to help my mom with dinner. It seemed that it would just be the two of us.

But when I saw my mom in the kitchen it seemed like she was cooking for about ten people. "Mom are you sure this is enough food for the two of us?" I asked sarcastically.