Chapter Seventeen: Casey

Taylor was still sleeping when I woke up, so I decided to go out for a quick run before she woke. The sun was just coming up as I ran around the neighbourhood. I nodded to fellow runners as we passed each other by and petted a few dogs along the way too. 

I was about to enter my house when I noticed that Drew was talking with another guy. I couldn't quite see his face as it was partially covered by a dark baseball cap. From the looks of the conversation, neither of them were happy. Drew looked like he was about to punch the guy. I decided to leave them to their heated argument and closed the door behind me. 

I had just finished showering when Taylor finally woke up. 

"I don't understand you." She groaned, watching me get dressed. 

"What do you mean?" I laughed, buttoning up my jeans. 

"You never wake up early on the first days of school, but every other day you're up at the crack of dawn." Her voice was husky. 

"I just don't like first days of school." I shrugged. 

"You're so weird." She chuckled. "What are we having for breakfast?" 

"What do you want to have?" I asked, tying my hair into a messy bun. 

"Pancakes. Oh and sausage and bacon." She babbled. 

"Okay, you get ready. I'll get started on breakfast."

I was in the midst of making the pancake batter when I heard the doorbell ring. Putting down the bowl, I went to answer the door. 

"Since you kicked us out last night, we figured we crash your breakfast." Josh grinned.

"That sounds fair. You're lucky. I actually made too much batter." I laughed, moving to let my two friends in. They  made their way to the kitchen and immediately began to raid the fridge. 

"I'm making breakfast. You're going to ruin your appetite if you eat that." I pointed to the leftover pie that they had uncovered. 

"Yeah, but we're hungry." They moaned.

"How about you help me cook some of the food. That way it won't take so long and you won't have to wait either." I told them, slapping the two packs of bacon in front of them.

"Sure thing." Ethan said, as he strode over to the burner. While I made the pancakes, the boys watched over the sizzling bacon and the sausages. Taylor came down just as we had finished cooking.

"Morning boys." She smiled. I was placing the last of the pancakes on the large stack as she took out some plates and glasses and arranged them neatly on the small breakfast table. Ethan took the two heavy plates of pancakes from my hands and placed them in the middle of the table. I grabbed the maple syrup and butter while Josh brought over the orange juice.

"Mmm. This is just what I was craving." Taylor grinned, helping herself to the food. She drizzled a generous serving of syrup over her pancakes and dug right in.

"I don't understand how you can eat so much and still stay so skinny." Josh laughed.

"I have good genes." She replied, her voice muffled by the pancakes she had stuffed in her mouth. 

"You sure do." Ethan winked. 

"So what's your plan for the weekend then?" I asked.

"Ethan and I have football practice."Josh replied.

"Seriously? On the weekend?" I moaned.

"Well a few of the guys wanted to go over some things." Ethan shrugged.