Chapter Forty-One: Walking On Sunshine

He grinned knowingly. He shifted the gear stick into one and pulled out of the school parking lot. The drive to the beach wasn't long, and soon I was stepping out on to the sand. I slipped of my shoes and dug my toes into the warm sand. I sighed with contentment. I realised how long it had been since I had been to the beach. "Been a long time." I breathed a lungful of the salty sea air. I watched in envy as all the surfers chased waves. I could go home and get my surf board but I wanted to cherish this. Drew grabbed my hand. I looked up at him and smiled. Immediately we took off running, sand kicking up from behind us and the wind flying through my hair.

We didn't stop till our feet were in the water. Somewhere on the way we had dropped our shoes. We laughed as played in the water, kicking it in each other's faces and chasing each other. I flicked water into Drew's eyes.

"Ahh!" He shouted. My eyes widened, as he brough his hands up to his face.

"Oh my gosh! I'm sorry. Are you okay?" I asked frantically. He looked at me.

"Does it look like I'm okay?" He glared at me. "Sea water hurts like a bitch." His eyes began to water. I felt really bad.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, not knwoing what else to say. He looked up at me angrily. Then he burst out laughing.

"You should have seen your face!" He cried. Now it was my turn to get angry.

"How could you!" I screamed, hitting him. "I thought that you had really got hurt!"

"I did get hurt, but not as much as you thought." He smirked. I turned to him, a knowing glint in my eye. I heard him mutter 'oh shit', before he took off. I began chasing him down the shore.

"I'm going to get you Drew!" I screamed as he chuckled. I pumped my legs harder and with a renewed determination I caught up to him. I was just about to touch his arm, when a rock appeared out of nowehere and I tripped. I think I must have grazed him arm because he turned around just as I was falling. Everything moved in slow motion, as Drew caught my hands despite me still falling. He pulled me towards his chest and held my waist tightly. I was panting hard from all the running, as was Drew.

"I think the ground loves me." I blurted out. He stopped smiling and frowned at me. "It seems that I have a habit of falling. The ground just likes me to be closer." I continued without breaking eye contact.

"You're so weird." He chuckled.

"Unique." I said.

"What?"

"I'm unique, not weird." I stated, sternly.

"Sure, you're still weird."

"I'm hungry, and you're buying." I pulled out of his arms.

"Hold up, when did I say I was buying?" He shouted as I made my way back to our shoes.

"You didn't" I shouted back.

"Then why am I buying?" He shouted, jogging to catch up.

"Because you owe me." I said simply.

"FIne." He pouted.

"Aww you little cutie pie." I cooed, pinching his cheeks. He swatted my hands away. When we got back to the car I checked my phone and saw that my friends had texted me. I sighed. Why did they have to know my whereabouts all the time?

I was tired of them worrying. I was tired of them checking I was still alive. I was just tired of drama. I exhaled heavily when I sank into the seat.

"What's wrong?" Drew asked, his eyebrows knitted together.

"Nothing I'm tired." I told him. He nodded, not looking convinced at my half truth and drove to some restaurant I assumed. We arrived at McDonald's and as I was about to get out the car he stopped me.