Chapter 29 - Book Closes

-----

"I need to learn how to swim." Lue said, stepping into the water that was coming to his ankles. Ace was sitting on the shore where he was playing with the sand. Lue smiled as he saw him.

"I remember that nii-san tried to teach me, so it won't be too hard." He stepped further, now his whole lower part was in water. He was shivering from the coldness of it.

"Brr...it's cold! Hahaha!" He laughed. Ace was now looking at him. He placed his little hands in front of him and started to crawl.

"Huh? Ace? No! Don't come!" Lue exclaimed and he came back to the baby. Ace's lip trembled. Lue frowned and sat on the ground with him between his legs.

"Better?" He asked as he placed him lightly in the water. Ace giggled and sat, his clothes now wet. "Will need to do the washing later..." Lue sighed, he looked up at the sky. The light breeze flying through his hair. Ace turned to him. One tear slid down Lue's cheek. Ace was now tugging his one leg. Lue opened his eyes and looked down at him. Ace hugged his leg and placed his cheek on his knee. Lue's eyes trembled as well as his lips.

"You're trying to cheer me up?" He smiled though the tears that were now falling down his eyes repeatedly. He sniffed and lifted Ace in his arms.

"Thank you..." he whispered and kissed his forehead. The thing...he always did to Ace. Kiss his little, clean forehead. He then stood up and walked over to the grass that was just after the beach ended. He laid there with Ace, clothes now dry but sticky. Ace didn't mind it tho...

"You're my everything, baby." Lue murmured as he laid on his side while Ace was on his back, one butterfly came and sat on his nose. He then sneezed and Lue laughed, wiping the snot with his own shirt that was lying beside. He placed it there when he was getting ready to swim.

"Everything." He repeated while caressing the baby's cheek.

"I will try to be the best dad in the whole world. For you...for Sabo and maybe eventually me. I will till the future gets secured." He kissed the baby's forehead again. Ace was slowly falling asleep. Lue closed his eyes while his hand was patting Ace's belly. He placed his head in the grass, nuzzling into it as if it was a pillow. Once again tears came running from his eyes. He was wiping them with the grass as he moved his head in it. He clenched his teeth, hiccups escaping his throat, he used the other hand to wipe his face. Sniffs and hiccups were only heard.

"Everything..." He whispered as he opened his red eyes to look at the baby. He closed a bit, now hugging the sleeping baby. Lue placed his head beside Ace's. "My baby..." he murmured, nuzzling his nose into Ace's cheek. At that time...the baby's mouth turned up and Ace smiled through his sleep. Lue smiled too as he wandered to the world of his dreams.

-

A pendant fell on the ground beside Lue. They saw it...and recognised it. It was the one as they had each in different colours. But...the strings that were supposed to be attached to it were...gone. They disappeared. Only a feather remained...

That was not fair. Why was he running, while crying after someone that was carrying his dad? He was reaching with his hand as his dad was getting away, wanting to grab him. Along with him, his two brothers.

Why?

He was good...he was good when he saw him! He suddenly collapsed and now...no one knew what was happening. He begged and begged for him to wake up. But he didn't. He cried, he cried and cried. Too exhausted he couldn't run anymore. His dad was carried onto one of the ships, taken to the infirmary.

The doctors after him. But it was not okay. There was no blood, no wounds besides scratches or the ones that just dried up. The only thing was that...he didn't have any heartbeat. It looked like he lost his heart, like it disappeared...

They tried everything. Nothing worked. Ace was in front of the doors while crying. Sabo and Luffy beside him, not knowing what was going on.

The doctors came out...shaking their heads while some cried. Ace's world collapsed. His vision blurred, he lost notice of his brothers. He was falling on the ground, looking at the doors that were slowly closing, his dad on the bed. Dead.

-

A pigeon. Or a weird bird. It had four colours of feathers on its tail: red, orange, blue and green. It was holding an envelope. A bandaged hand took it from it. It chirped and flew away. The trembling hands opened the envelope. One paper was in it. The person's gasp was held in his throat as he unfolded it. Black hair fluttering in the wind. He started....

Long ago...I lost someone. That person was really important to me. For the rest of my life I regretted only one thing, you not being there with me. Ace. It's me...your dad. Monkey D. Luerion.

The one I lost was you. But it wasn't you who is here now. Ace...I am from the future...explaining, this is my second life. But I am not the same person. In my past life...my name was Monkey D. Luffy. Yes, your brother. My son.

After your death I regretted and regretted, grieved and thought, if I could meet you again... I would do anything. Some time after my death...I did get to meet you. But you were so small, so little and so innocent. The baby I didn't get to see in the past.

My eyes were lit when I met you, the most lovable person in the whole world. In the past you were saying some horrible things - you didn't know...if you could live. I tell you...you can. You can, baby. You can and you really must. For your brothers and for all of the people that love you.

I came back for one thing and I understood it after repairing my memories. I was sent back...to secure the future. For you, Sabo, Luffy and everyone that I love, to live.

I couldn't save many...but I could save you. From hating yourself. I might be writing it when you all are sleeping. My three little devils, my boys, my children. The ones I deeply love.

I did change from my past, but I do not regret it. But...I realised that...if my goal is to secure the future...I'll need to disappear. It might sound crazy...but I got my assurance. Why? Because there is no place for me in this world...and timeline. In my past I didn't exist...more like Luerion didn't. But now I do.

My aim from the very start was to change the future for you guys...for my loved ones to live, because the future relies on you. Some people had to die, some had to survive. That was for the world to be changed. For me not to go into cycles and repeat the past forever I realised I needed to change the future. Secure you and the others.

Once I met Luffy...I got a feeling...that something disappeared in me. And it did. Every time Luffy did or was in some important event of the timeline, part of my lifespan was getting reduced. If...the war happens...I will probably disappear there. My lifespan will be passed to Luffy's own to the last end of it. And important parts of my body that let me live will slowly disappear. But that's alright...because my whole existence will need to disappear when a person, that I once was, comes into my life.

My hand...is trembling now. But I'm smiling...I see you sleeping in one bed, hugging together, you guys....call me dad, something I didn't get to experience in my past. It's good. I feel really happy. And it's because you live, baby. Your life came to mine and I became the happiest person in the whole world. I would never want to leave you...but I think when I'll disappear you will be well. You have your brothers and they have you.

Please do it for me and live...

Oh and I could forget. Beside you should lay a book. It...it was made by me. I am in the process of writing it, along with this letter. It contains...my life, this and some of the past. It describes my childhood and the moment I saw you. When I was in Impel Down I even wrote some, when they gave me a chance. You didn't know, but I was there...don't be sad, it was all for you to be safe. My choice.

I...dedicate that book to you, my little boys, my precious and my pride, my little three devils...because...for you, to the end of the world, I will wait patiently.

Your Dad.

Book closes.

-----