Mayhem at Midnight

Yes, the dot labelled Barty Crouch. As far as he knew there was only one Barty Crouch who existed, and he had seen the same person who looked like he would meet god soon, a few months ago. He could easily confirm the fact of his absence when he didn't show up for the Yule Ball and his assistant Percy Weasley stating that he was taking a well deserved break.

Whether he was ill or overworked didn't matter, what did was the fact that he would show up to Hogwarts at midnight just to sneak around in the portions master's private office. With newfound determination, he hurried down the stairs. It wasn't as though he'd confront Crouch face to face, but had to find out what he's up to. In his manifestation, he stepped on the trick step as he descended down the flight of stairs, tumbling down. He felt his ankle get trapped and the egg and map both skidded out of his grasp and fell all the way down the stairs. To his utmost horror, the clamour he created seemed to have gravitated Peeves to where he was. And Peeves being Peeves, gravitated trouble. He was loudly singing the Hogwarts song, with a little bit of his own touch, including inappropriate words and insults as he bounced around with his egg, playing a loud game of catch and catch. Harry could hear the deafening echoes as the egg banged against the wall and the cold corridor floor. He was certain this meant more trouble was on its way. Just as he predicted, he heard Filch skidding rather gleefully to the scene of crime. Harry turned to look at any possible passage that would help him escape and saw a dot labelled Severus Snape walk towards them as well.

He was so screwed.

'Oh Peeves!' Filch hissed, 'In grave trouble, aren't we? Oh yes, this time for sure I can convince the headmaster to sent you to exile. Being rather noisy, damaging school property and- Oh Merlin's son! Stealing a champion's egg!! I've got you this time for-'

'What is this racket in the middle of the njight?' Snape sneer echoed as he was trotted as though he owned the place.

Just why was he always encountering the triple trouble every time he snuck out?

'Oh professor!' Filch exclaimed excitedly, 'Peeves here has been going around nicking a champion's belongings.' He said, waving the hefty egg like it was the Order of Merlin award, handed to him by the minister for magic.

'Admitted, Peeves attracts trouble as his identical twin, but there's no chance he could have stolen it from the champions.' Snape spoke. 'He is strictly forbidden from exiting the castle doors, keeping him out of bounds from the champions of other schools. And I can be rest assured the common rooms are too, out of question.'

'He has an egg. A champion's egg.' Filch spelled out slowly in front of Snape, as though he hadn't taken in a word.

'I can see that.' He sneered.

'And when has Peeves regarded rules and regulations, professor. To find out what chaos he's caused, I saw we go straight to the headmaster.' Filch said rather excitedly.

Not Dumbledore...Harry thought. If they went to the Headmaster's office, he was almost sure he'll be busted. The champions will be questioned and he'll be the only one without an egg. Then the question will be raised how Peeves laid his hands on the egg. The Fat Lady will deny allowing him entry into the common roon so she woudn't be fired and could continue plaing fortune telling with couple of the other ladies in the painting. The triple trouble will ensure Harry pays a heavily. Snape has held a grudge against Harry since he stepped his toe into the castle and Filch hates students in general. Peeves will ensure he exaggerates the truth, much to their glee and land him in even more trouble than he's in. I'm so screwed, he thought.

'Either way, I have no regard for that irresponsible champion who kept their egg so comfortably in that wretched poltergiest's reach.'

Harry lay still where he was. The three people downstairs (If we're include peeves) continued to chatter. And he was certain there was no wriggling out of this. He was stuck in a step, his wand was out of his reach, the map had also skidded down along with it and lay idle on staircase. No one had so far. 'Evening Potter.' He heard someone growl beside him. He almost jumped then realized again that his leg was stuck. 'This beauty cannot be fooled by some invisibility cloak.' he actioned at his magical eye wick whizzed in its socket. 'Well, what do we have here?' He said loudly, ignoring Harry and trotting down the stairs towards the latter.