chapter 7

I sat on the exam bed, still shivering. I could feel my body getting more and more heated inside.

I knew I was sick. I just didn't want to admit it.

Every-time I've been sick my grandma has been there to take care of me. She'd make my favorite soup with some soft bread. She'd always sleep with me to make sure nothing happened during the night.

Now, that's gone. I'd have to take care of myself.

Tears welled in my eyes as I came to those harsh realizations.

I looked up when he opened the door and called in a nurse. He spoke to her for a few seconds before she left swiftly. A couple seconds later, she came back and handed him a stethoscope. He thanked her and then came to me.

He placed it in his ears and moved towards me. "I'm just going to place this under your shirt." He told me as he looked to me for permission.

"Okay" I whispered.

He did as he said and placed the bell under my shirt. By now, my shirt was a bit damp.

He moved it around for a couple minutes before announcing he was going to listen to my lungs.

He removed his coat from around me and once again, listened intently.

"You're already starting to sound congested for supposedly not being sick " he said in an emotionless tone as he put the stethoscope back.
around his neck.

"I'll take a DayQuil and call it a day" I told him as we looked at each other.

He shook his head. "Nope, you need antibiotics" he told me.

I looked to him and sighed. "I can't afford that right now." I told him honestly.

He faced me, his face void of emotion. "It's on the house".

I shook my head. "No, it's okay, I don't want anything for free." For all I know it'll come back in the future to bite me.

"Remember our deal?" He reminded me as he faced away from me on his phone.

I sighed and gave up. I nodded my head.

"Good. Im going to grab it. Stay here" and he left.

I sat here thinking. How did I end up here? I was meaning to find my father. Not some rich doctor who was 6'4", emotionless, and broody, who was supposedly my father.

He was intimidating. A small part of me was praying the results came back negative because I was afraid.

He came back a bit later with a bag in his hand and a few papers. He didn't say anything but only motioned for me to follow him. The entire way to the elevator, he looked down, deep in thought.

We walked in the elevator and he clicked another level.

We soon made it to a penthouse. It was insane. Again, floor to ceiling windows covered the room. A dark theme was displayed all across the place. It was stunning.

He sat down on the counter, still not looking at me or saying anything.

"Did you get the results back?" I asked him curiously

He looked up and my heart got nervous.

"I'm a father"