chapter 28

It's been a few days since Char started school and so far, she loves it. She wakes up early and does a quick workout with Grey and I (which mainly consists of her walking for a little before she gets winded) and then she joins me in my office to do work.

It's nice to have her company all the time. It cures my anxiety of leaving her alone with all our enemies out there.

She was currently laying down on my office couch watching a lecture.

"Hey dad, there's this study group for online kids hosted by our school. Do you think I can go?" she asked me hopefully.

I thought about it for a second. It would be good for her to go out and make friends with other kids her age, besides Grey and everyone else. But a part of me was still scared let her go out there on her own.

"Where is it going to be?"

"At the library across the street. I can text you updates and you can even come check on me if you want" she told me, trying to ease some of my anxiety.

I nodded. "Okay, sure."

I'd send one of the guys there to keep watch on her just to make sure she was safe. It wasn't that I didn't trust her, but with our profession, you never knew who was out there waiting to gain revenge.

"Yay, thank you" she said excitedly.

I got my phone out and texted Alex and Luca the situation and they immediately agreed to keep watch on her all evening. I knew they were off from work after a long, but successful, mission. I was grateful that they'd keep watch.

I didn't trust anyone else besides them, my family, Grey and my capo.

A few hours passed and it was time for Char to go to her study group. I walked her to the library and made sure she got there safely.

When I got there, I saw a ton of upperclassman high schoolers. Char was talking senior level classes, so this was expected.

After making sure she was settled, I gave her a quick kiss and bid her goodbye. As I walked out, I made eye contact with Alex and Luca, who both gave me a curt nod.

Charlotte

"Wow, is that your brother? He's hot as fuck" some tall girl with blonde hair blurted out to me.

I cringed. "Ew gross, he's my father." I told her as I made a face.

"Oh damn" she laughed out.

"What's your name? I'm Leia" she told me as she put her hand out for me to shake.

"Charlotte" I replied with a small smile.

"Charlotte, you're the youngest one here" she told me.

"Yeah, I took a ton of classes at my old high school, so I'm a little ahead" I explained to her.

Some guy scoffed. "No one likes a smart ass" some guy in a hoodie muttered.

I turned to him. "No one was talking to you" I told him in a firm voice.

"Who do you think you're talking to like that? You better watch your mouth." He said as he stood up.

He was a tall boy, but extremely lanky. I wasn't threatened by him at all. I'm sure I could beat his ass.

I stood back up. "I'm talking to you, hoodie. Didn't your parents ever teach you to treat people with respect?" I asked him back.

"I don't give a fuck. Sit down little girl" he said glaring at me.

"You aren't the boss of me." I told him angrily. This guy was pissing me off.

"Keep running your mouth" he told me with a death glare.

"What are you gonna do? I'd love to see." I pushed him.

He didn't say anything, but continued to breathe really hard.

That's what I thought. No balls.

Suddenly, Leia grabbed my arm. "Girl what are you doing? That's Jackson, everyone knows not to mess with him." she said as she tried to pull me down to sit with her.

"I don't care, he's not some king. Stop putting him on a pedestal" I muttered as I took out my laptop and began to don't work.

A few hours had passed by and we all split up into little groups. Leia and I mostly worked together since we took the same classes.

My dad told me he'd meet me by the lobby around 6. I packed up my stuff and made my way out. I spotted him in no time, talking to two large men who looked familiar.

As I was about to make my way toward him, somebody grabbed my arm and pinned me against the wall.

"Listen here little girl, learn to control your mouth before I do it for you." The asshole in the hoodie snarled in my ear with a deathly voice.

I smiled at him, leaving him with a confused expression.

Little did he know, my father was watching this unfold.

You my friend, just fucked up.