chapter 30

Ronan

Today I'd be leaving to Dubai with the boys to meet with some potential investors. It was the first time I'd ever leave Charlotte, and I figured it would be fine.

I was wrong.

The days leading up to it, I began to mentally prepare myself. Packing and organizing everything so that nothing would be out of order.

What I didn't think about was the emotional part. The part that I would actually be leaving my daughter.

Albeit she is in the best care with my parents, a part of my gut still clenched when I realized I'd be halfway around the world from her in less than 24 hours.

It was terrible.

It would only be for 5 days, but even that was too long. The realistic side of me thought about everything that could happen while I was gone- and I wouldn't be there to protect her.

But, as I said before, there aren't any more trustworthy people in my life I'd let watch her. They raised me to be the man I was today. They protected me and loved me.

And they would do the same for my daughter in a heartbeat.

I had to take a step back, and trust.

We all sat around the living room, all of us saying our goodbyes. Charlotte put on a tough face, but I could easily see through her. She never wanted to show her emotions, especially at a time like this, with fear that I'd worry.

She was trying to protect me.

I she stood by putting on a brace face. As the guys all bid her goodbye and headed downstairs, I told them to wait up for me.

She looked like at any minute she was gonna sob.

"Come here, Char" I told her softly as I pulled her close to me.

"I'm scared" her voice wobbled as her barrier broke and she began to sob onto my sweater.

"Shhh" I calmed her as I began to rub her back and comfort her. I knelt down to her level.

"Char, look at me. I promise I'm going to be back in 5 days and nothing it going to happen to me. In the meantime you're gonna spend some time with your grandparents, uncles and aunt. It's all going to be okay. I promise" I told her as I held her face.

The sight of her red eyes, made me wanna forfeit the entire trip, just to stay here with her.

But I couldn't. I had to meet with these investors as they'd help expand our businesses.

"I'm j-just afraid that-t I won't see you" she said as she sniffed. "I-I just lost m-my grandma, a-and I can't loose you too." She sobbed as she held me tighter. I picked her up and sat on the couch.

She made completely valid points. She had just lost someone close to her, and discovered someone new. That fear inside her was totally reasonable, but it was wrong.

She wouldn't loose me too.

I held her tight in my arms and reassured her nothing was going to happen to me.

"I love you Char" I told her as I gave her a kiss on her forehead.

"I love you too dad" she said as she refused to let go of her iron hold on me.

And that was fine. She could hold me for however long she liked. Because I wanted her to know that dad will always be there.

I waited about 20 minutes until her heart rate slowed down, and her rallied breathing ceased. I wouldn't leave her in a panicked state.

I gave her one more hug, and made my way out the door.

I turned back and gave her a reassuring smile. My mom was holding her tightly, and that gave me the comfort I needed.

I opened the back of the Escalade and we made our way to the private airport.