chapter 15

I took the medicines and then sat at the counter looking around. Grey continued to text on his phone.

I decided to break the awkward silence and talk to him.

"Tell me about yourself" I blurted out. He looked up from where he was typing. "There's nothing to say. I'm a friend of your father. We've known each other for quite some time now." he told me and went back to his phone.

I nodded. "Cool, how'd you guys meet?" I asked him curiously.

Grey

How was I supposed to tell her that I met her father when he performed surgery on me during a op?

Truth was, she seemed like a nice kid. But I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit of hurt every-time I looked to her.

She reminded me of my little sister who I lost when she was her age. Since then, It's led me into this dark place.  

Ella was the best little sister anyone could ask for. The purest soul there was. Sometimes I wish it was me who went rather than her.

She didn't deserve it.

I looked to Charlotte. "We met during a job once. Ever since we've been very close" I told her. I watched her accept that lie with a satisfied smile.

"Your turn" I told her as I put my phone down and leaned on the counter, giving my attention to her.

"I'm Charlotte, I'm 15 and I like to read" she said in a soft voice.

"Bullshit" I told her as I looked away and smiled a little. "This isn't an interview, you can tell me stuff you actually like" I told her.

She smiled. "Okay fine, I like to read AND watch horror movies. I like airhead xtremes and chocolate. My grandma was a health freak and once in while she'd let me have a movie night with all the candy in the world. We used to sit up all night watching all sorts of movies, eating bunches of candy." She said as she started to look away.

"My grandma passed away recently, that's why I'm here" she explained.

"I'm sorry for your loss" I told her solemnly. I knew what it was like to loose family.

"Thank you" she said with a gracious smile.

I nodded.

"Can you tell me about my father?" she asked me as if the word seemed foreign to her.

"He's a good guy. Intelligent as fu-" I started off but then remembered I should probably not cuss  " -hell. Intelligent as hell."

She laughed. "Nice save"

"He's a very caring person who will do anything for the people he loves" I continued. It was true. Rowan put up a front on the outside, but in reality, if you were riding with him, he'll ride with you till the very end.

"That's good to hear. I'm still super nervous about everything"

"That's understandable, it's a new environment. You'll be okay in no time"

What the fuck. Since when did I become caring?

Thunder boomed through the apartment, making us both turn around. When she did so, I caught a glimpse of a purplish patch on her arm.

I furrowed my eyebrows. Interesting.

I moved closer and gently grabbed her arm. I began to inspect it. She looked up to me confused but didn't say anything as I looked at it. As I did so, I saw a bruise in the shape of a handprint.

"Who did this?" I barked out, anger lacing my voice.

"Y-yesterday, when I went to meet my dad, there was a guy who thought I didn't belong and tried to make me leave. " she said nervously.

Anger coursed through me.

"He grabbed you so hard he left a bruise?" I almost screamed.

"When your dad comes back, we're going downstairs and you're going to tell me who did this" I told her calmly.

Nervousness was present on her face and I immediately calmed down.

"Relax, you aren't in trouble" I reassured her after I saw the moon of fear on her face.

She visibly relaxed.

I'll be dammed if I let anyone hurt my niece.

Shit. Shes already got me wrapped around her finger