chapter 42

Charlotte

Falling asleep proved to be hard. Never did my dad or Uncle Grey yell at me before. I felt so guilty.

My body wouldn't stop shaking and my heart wouldn't stop racing. My palms and feet were sweaty, no matter how many pairs of fuzzy socks I wore and blankets I wrapped myself into.

I had no appetite, and felt rather nauseous.

I hated getting in trouble. I was scared. This hadn't happened here yet and I hated disappointing them.

When I lived with my grandma, I was (and still am) a pretty good kid. I always obeyed her and never gave her any trouble. Most problems we had (if you'd even consider them problems) would be that I need to go out more rather than stay home and study.

I was always a good kid.

Interrupting my thoughts was a knock at my door. I muttered a weak, "come in" and looked to see who it was.

Uncle Grey. I tensed immediately. I felt so bad for how it went down. I knew I overstepped, but I was trying to help him in a way. As quiet and reserved as he was, I'm sure he had a family who loved him as well. I felt guilty for pushing him.

"Char, is it okay if we talk?" He asked in a soft tone, one that I've never heard before.

I sat up a little and nodded. I pulled the blanket around me, my body still freezing from shaking so much.

He took a seat on the edge of the bed. "Listen, I'm very sorry for my reaction. I apologize for the way I snapped." He stated in a solemn.

"I-I'm so sorry for pushing you. It wasn't my place and I'm really sorry for that."

He shook his head. "You're right, Char. I need to step out of my comfort zone. Don't apologize. I knew you had good intentions."

Grey

I felt something I hadn't felt in a long time.

Guilt.

It reminded me of the times I would leave my little sister and see the heartbroken look on her face.

If there was one thing to crush a man, it was that.

I looked at Charlotte to make sure she was okay. She seemed a bit shaken up still, but I assured her everything was okay and no one was mad.

I saw the wheels turn in her head for a little, before accepting everything was okay with a satisfied smile.

"I know how to make up for this." I started off, shaking my head. I don't think Ronan would agree, but oh well.

She looked to me curiously.

"I'll let you learn to drive in my car."

"Shut up"

Any sign of anxiety left her face, and it was soon filled with excitement. "Wait, seriously?" She asked with an eager look.

I sighed and nodded. "Yeah." I was already work out in my head how to set a speed limit and apply as much safety restrictions as possible so her father didn't throw a fit.

"Let's go!" she screamed as she did an imaginary fist pump in the air.

I chuckled.

"Get some rest, Char" I told her before I gave her a hug and left. "Goodnight Uncle Doofus" she whispered.

I looked to her with furrowed eyebrows. "New name?" I asked curiously.

"Mhm, it suits you" she smiled tiredly before she closed her eyes.

I smiled. "Goodnight Char."

Ronan
Grey came downstairs with a small smile on his face, so I know things went well. I'll still have to apologize to her sometime soon.

I felt terrible about it.

I didn't mean to shout at her. It was a tricky situation. Grey had demons he was fighting, and she didn't understand. She came from a good place though, which only shows how pure her heart is.

Reminds me of her mother. At such a young age she had the purest heart of them all. Always selfless and putting people ahead of her.

She would've made an amazing mother. I would by lying if I didn't say I felt hurt when I heard of her passing. She was truly and angel.

I'm glad she left a piece of her with me though. I see her everyday in Charlotte.

"I'm glad everything okay with you both" I told him.

"Same." He nodded, satisfied.

A/N thanks for all the support! :) !