chapter 33

Ronan

The guys and I were on the plane home. It was a successful business trip, but I was ready to be back in Chicago. I sat in deep thought as I stared out the window, absorbing the nighttime view.

It amazes how much my mind changed so much. Rather than think about to next club we were going to, I often worried whether my daughter ate or not instead.

My parents reassured me that she did in fact eat and complete her online school with no problems at all. My mom continued to send pictures of them during my trip, to the point that my phone kept buzzing nonstop.

But I didn't mind. Immediate happiness filled me as I saw all of their smiles. I was ecstatic she was getting close to my parents.

As the days go by, it makes me realize that there's so many components to being a parent.

And it wasn't for the weak. Kudos to all of them. Not that Charlotte was a particularly hard kid (quite the opposite actually) but that part of me always worried about her

Nonstop.

I couldn't turn it off. Apparently that was the right of passage to parenthood.

Where's my medal?

Before I knew it we arrived back stateside. It was 1am in Chicago and we were all walking down the stairs of the jet sluggishly, tired faces present on all of us.

Jet lag was a bitch.

As soon as we all made it back to the building where all our houses were located, we all bid each other goodbye and crashed.

Except me. As soon as I opened the door, I disarmed the alarm system and immediately made a beeline for Char's room.

As soon as I saw her, all the chaos quieted in my head and I focused on her.

It was as if my brain needed physical proof she was okay.

I made sure to open the door quietly, careful to not wake her up. As I did, I saw her tiny frame fast asleep on the bed, laptop and notebooks in hand.

I gently moved the laptop and notebook to her desk and pulled back the covers and placed them
over her. She snuggled deep into them. I couldn't help but notice the dark circles under her eyes.

I hope she was getting rest.

I bent down and gave her a small kiss on her forehead. Without missing a beat, her eyes fluttered a little and then opened.

"D-dad?" She asked confused as if she was dreaming.

"Hi sweetheart" I whispered as I gently rubbed your back.

Suddenly, all the sleep disappeared from her and she jumped into my arms. "You're back" she muffled into my shoulder with a cry.

"Shhh, I'm home sweetheart." I consoled her.

"I-I'm so glad you're home. I missed you so much" she cried into my shoulder.

"I missed you too, love" I told her gently.

"Thank you for keeping your promise" she said as she looked back to me with her teary eyes.

I wiped them away with my thumbs gently.

"Always"

And before she knew it, she fell asleep on me. I sat against the headboard as I held her.

I was beyond tired, not having slept in 24 hours to ease with the time change, my body was exhausted. But I couldn't move or else I'd wake her up.

So here I was sitting in an uncomfortable
position, tired as hell, holding Char as she slept.

Was it ideal? No.

But I wouldn't have changed it for the world.

A/N back after a short break :) hope you guys enjoy! Don't forget to leave comments & vote ! I love hearing your feedback! Thank you for the support!