chapter 25

Charlotte

I didn't realize I fell asleep until I woke up and felt something cold on my ankle and ribs. I looked over and saw Grey was sleeping on the other half of the couch, looking a bit uncomfortable, as one of his hands held the ice pack to my ribs.

I laughed. The scene in front me was quite comical. Grey could barely fit on the couch and looked as if he was playing the game "Twister"

My slight shift in movement caused him to open his eyes immediately.

"Sleep, Grey. It's okay, you look tired" I told him honestly. It was true. He wore dark circles under his eye, that were more prominent as he looked around.

He got up and rubbed his eyes.

"Where's my dad?" I asked him curiously. I hadn't seen him since he went to his office.

"He's just handling some business" he muttered before he rested his head back on the couch.

Grey

It was true. He was handling some business alright. Business that involved a man name Diego.

It was clear that both of us weren't going back to sleep, so instead I got up. Ronan wasn't sure how long he'd take so instead he told me to take her home.

"Let's head home kid" I told her as folded up the blanket and threw it in the basket under my desk. I often kept a couple items here for late nights when I couldn't make it home.

She yawned and lazily got up. As she did so, her face instantly contorted into pain.

"Here, I can carry you. You shouldn't be putting weight on that ankle" I told her as I moved over to her.

She shook her head. "It's fine" she said as she tried again to stand on her ankle.

I stood back and watched her for a few minutes as she huffed in frustration.

I stood there and shook my head. "You're stubborn just like your dad" I told her as I smiled.

"Cmon, hop on" I told her as I bent down

She accepted her defeat and hopped on the back of my back.

"I'd never thought I'd get a piggy back ride from a scary mafia persona" she blurted out.

"Scary mafia person? Aren't we past that now?" I told her as I laughed out.

"I mean, yeah, but you're still scary." she said as she held on tight and I made my way down the halls.

Everyone in the club looked at us questingly, probably wondering why one of their bosses was carrying a child on their back, but nobody dared to ask questions. They simply went about their day.

I carried her to my car, a 2023 Masarati Grand Turismo with a matte black finish.

I opened the door for her and placed her inside.

"Wow this is cool" she exclaimed like a little kid. It was like a kid in a candy shop.

"Thanks kid"

"Can you go fast", she asked like a little kid on Christmas. Her face was smiling like there was no tomorrow as she admired the car and absorbed every detail.

"I'm not sure your dad would like that"

"Pleaseeee." She asked me with puppy eyes. "Just this one time? It'll make me feel better" she tried to negotiate.

No, Grey. Ronan will have your head for this.

I turned back to her to tell her no, but the look of her puppy dog eyes got me.

Shit.

I rolled my eyes and agreed. "Okay fine, just this once" I told her.

"YES!" She screamed as she fist pumped the air. "You have to go fast and double clutch" she rambled on.

"Char, this isn't fast an furious, we still have to be safe" I told her.

"Didn't Dominic Toretto say he lives his life a quarter mile at a time? You do the same" she said with a cheeky smile.

I shook my head.

Ronan might kill me for this.

But it was worth it. I had never seen her more excited.

Here goes nothing.