Home

(this is where i will put a song that corresponds with the chapter, typically at the top, before the chapter starts, however if you'd like the full playlist check it out here on Spotify, https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6RWBquG039unmzWyUMtez8?si=5e751df091ff4738))   

Inside out- Duster

Your POV

I wasn't one to care or notice much about anything when I was younger. All I cared for was what Tv show was on the crystal ball, which of my friends were outside playing, and weather I got a scoop of  ice scream after dinner. I still wonder if I had only been more observant, more aware, if I could've noticed the signs. I could've noticed that my mom was out every night till the crack of dawn, that she never had a sygil on her wrist, that she hated Belos, and that she had been tempering with wild magic. If I had been more observant... maybe I could've prevented her death, maybe I could've prevented my own.

The sun was shining on that dark day, I was approaching the age of eleven as my mom finished up dinner and told me to go fetch her a towel, after I had clumsily spilt my orange blood all over the table.
The breeze that day crept into the house, easing the warmth the sun shined through the windows. I made my way upstairs, skipping over the one creaky step, making a mental note of it in case I ever wanted to sneak out when I was a teenager. I had such high hopes for my teenage years. No responsibility, no longer in the awkward stage of my body, friends of all kinds. I planned every detail, what clothes I'd wear, what my personality would be like, the way I would sneak out to see my friends, skipping over the creaky step because little me made note of it; making it second nature to me not to step on it. It was a child's dream, one I still like to indulge in, and one I still try my best to keep up with.
I made my way down the short hallway near the closet that held towels and extra blankets when I heard the erie sound that still haunts my dreams.

The crashing of plates and the scream of my mom.

I rushed down stairs, forgetting about the towel and forgetting about the creaky step as I stumbled down the stares. I sprinted into the kitchen to find my moms eyes glowing a bright purple with froth coming from her mouth as she lay on the ground. The plates were smashed with cuts along her skin that bled onto the floor. I gasped and with my little hands tried to shake her awake, she didn't respond. I ran out and called to my neighbors begging for them to help. I must've looked like a maniac, a ten year old crying with blood on her hands. Eventually I ran back home, some hope that my mom was awake but it was squashed as I saw her laying there. I grabbed the phone and remembered the number my teachers told me to call to get healers.

"667 what's your emergency?"

"Help! My moms on the floor, she's frothing at the mouth and her eyes are glowing. She fell real bad! Please come quick!" Little me begged over the phone. The woman asked me my address and soon healers came to the door. I didn't know what happened to her after that. A healer held me and shielded me from my mom as they took her out.

"She's gonna be okay right?!?" I asked begging our to the healer that held me to keep me put. They didn't respond but the silence was loud enough for even a child to understand.

My mom was dead.

The next hours sped by, I didn't have much grasp on time at that point, but especially not then. I sat on the top of a rock with a blanket around me as witches and demons put my mom into an ambulance. Somewhere along the way coven scouts came, and then appeared Belos.

I didn't know how long he had been there or why but next thing I knew he stopped in front of me, my eyes full of tears as I stared at the red grass.

"Are you her daughter?"
He asked. I slowly nodded, only noticing the color of his boots and cape. He paused, thinking for a moment. "Do you have any other family little one?"

I shook my head.

The emperor paused. He then knelt down before me as my little body sat numb on that rock. I saw his mask, and the emptiness inside it. I clutched onto the blanket and then he did something unexpected. He took it off.  He had long blond hair, and a green scar that was across his face.

"Your mother..." he paused, "she was dwindling in wild magic. Did you know that?"

I finally looked at him and shook my head. The tears still coming down. He paused again, something he must do quite often.

"I don't do this often. But I will not let you become an orphan. I have seen first hand how... unstable a life like that can be for a young child. You will live with me in the castle, only if you agree of course."

I looked up at him, he had sunken eyes that were a piercing blue. That seemed to stare into my own. He held out a gloved hand.

I hesitantly took it.

The ride to the castle was long as I sat in the back of a chariot with Belos. He kept his mask on as I held onto the blanket.
We approached the castle as the sun illuminated its gold engravings on its exterior. To a child it looked like it was straight out of a fairy tail. The emperor and a few other scouts took me to my room, a few things already lined it's stone walls. A twin sized bed, a desk, a nightstand and some shelves. A few things stood on the shelves that a scout must've placed there. I hesitantly sat on the bed taking in what would be my new home.  Belos informed me that the scouts would retrieve items from my room, and any extras that I wished but he urged me not to go back, saying goodbye to the house would be too painful. I nodded, something I ended up doing a lot.  In the end, I never really got to say goodbye to my mom.

Then Belos walked in with a scout, a very short one. There wasn't much to him besides his short stature, the clothes that seemed a bit too big, and the mask that couldn't hide strands of sandy hair from poking out.

I stared at the- obviously young- boy that Belos had brought in as I asked the question,

"Who are you?"