Overslept

Youre not special-Maggie Lindemann

Hunters pov

I woke up the next morning as the sun shined through the glass window of my room. I groaned tiredly knowing i didn't get much sleep last night. I rested my face in my hands, letting my breath create a warm blanket that washed over them.

Another mission... maybe if i do something above and beyond, prove to uncle... ugh what am i thinking I-

I felt the tug of my hair and a familiar chirping.

"Ugh!" I yelled backing up and shooing the red cardinal, "Palismen stop that!" I jumped out of bed trying to get it away. Ever sense the pathetic mission in Latissa this.. thing, had been following me and wont leave me alone.

It kept tugging on my hair strand and i tired to shoo it away as it got me out of bed. "What are you-?" I then noticed the time, 6:30 am, "Oh shit!" I ran over to the chair where i had placed my uniform and quickly put on deodorant, jumped into the armor, and finger combed through my hair. I had to jump over the scattered papers and books on my floor as I reached for the door after i grabbed my staff but the palismen followed. "Stay here," I instructed as i shut my door and ran down the castle hallways. The golden sun shined onto the golden engravings on the inside of the castle as i approached the large wooden door,then i heard the familiar chirp.

"Palismen?!" I whisper shouted, then i heard the throne room door begin to open as i quickly grabbed the bird and stuffed it into my cloak, walking inside. I felt the eeriness of the room and the thick tension as i bowed next to y/n

"You're late," Belos said factually as I gulped and nodded.

"Yes sir, im sorry, it wont happen again," I answered, my voice hoarse. It was true, this was the first time i had ever been late, titian this whole mission thing is messing with my head, she's messing with my head. I have to keep my cool.

Belos anger only radiated from him, from my stay at the castle i had learned to read his emotions and right now... he was pissed, at me.

Belos informed us that we were to go to Bones Burrow and find the Owl Ladies shop and shut it and her down, and to try to capture her in the process. We both nodded, agreeing and we both began to walk out, i mentally prepared myself for the mission ahead with her but i was stopped by a familiar voice.

"Golden Guard, will you stay back?" His familiar voice asked, I flinches and i noticed for the first time ever in the many times hes asked to stay back the Amethyst- y/n - i need to remember that- looked back at me.

I hated the idea of anyone ever giving me pity, for instance if i failed a mission and ever told anyone about it i hated it when they'd say, "Im sorry," Sorry for what? My own neglagence, my uselessness? It makes my blood boil, and as she looked back at me with that same type of pity my blood ran hot. She had no right to pity me, not when she was half the reason why i was so useless. Not when I could be replaced easily, by her.

Belos took off his mask, urging me to do the same, "Hunter... you're falling down a slippery slope. Why were you late?" He asked coldly.

"I overslept Uncle, im sorry it wont happen again," I replied quickly.

My uncle looked at me with interest as he got off the throne and began to walk towards me, stopping a few feet in front of me, "Why? What are you doing instead of sleeping that causes you to sleep in so late?"

I paused and the stupidest part of me thought for a second that if i told him that i was trying to help him, maybe he'd... i dunno what i was thinking, "I um... I've been researching wild magic to heal your curse, if you could just tell me how wild magic did this this to you maybe-"

My words wee cut shot as his curse allowed his body to morphed into a blade and cut across my right cheek, it wasn't deep or very big but it was big enough that i could feel the small sting of it.

I took a deep breath, "I.. I understand."

Belos walked up to me and placed a hand on both my shoulders, "I dont want you involved with that. Wild magic has killed our family, i cant have the same happen to you Hunter. I truly hope you understand that it pains me to watch you disobey me and fail. Im giving you chances here, you need to meet me at least half way there. Or else... well, you know i have someone who could be better equipped."

I felt tears threaten to leak out of my eyes as i knew who the someone was, "Y-yes Belos.."

He nodded, "Now go, you wouldn't want to keep your partner waiting now would you?"

I nodded once more, putting my mask back on and walking out the throne room. The halls were busy with scouts and guards and i assumed she had gone outside to wait or maybe she had tried to get a head start on me i dont know. It really wouldn't surprise me.

I made my way around the maze of the castle before getting outside, i looked around for her familiar black cloak and purple accessorized armor before spotting her. She was talking with other scouts. Then i noticed her hood was down showing off her hair, and then once again i noticed shed taken her mask off as she talked to them. She was socializing and joking and laughing with them like it came easy, and maybe it did. Though i had never seen her socialize with others, though to be fair i didn't pay much attention to her until now. Her blue eyes were creased from her smile as i shook my head at her socialization and walked over to her. She noticed me and smiled, waving at me.

Sadly after the talk with Belos i wasn't in the mood to be equally as joyful, not when she was a walking reminder that i could easily be replaced. I just nodded at her, as i asked, "Are you ready?"

She waved to the scouts telling them good luck on whatever and nodded, bringing out her staff and hopping onto it, "Yea, lets shut down a business." She paused, "That sounds a lot sadder than bad ass, let me try again."

I looked away and then back at her awkwardly as I hopped onto my own staff.

"Okay okay, Lets go bust some nuts, NO- uh bust some bad guys? No... shes not a guy unless her rat counts, uh-"

I chuckled at her trying to correct herself, "Lets just go."

She sighed in defeat, "Okay.."

AN: OOOOOh does he want to like you but wont?? I dunno (Of course i do) Sorry for the late publish! ive been busy as hell this week, anyway enjoy this chapter >:)