Sunrise

Sick boy- the chainsmokers

Hunters POV

That morning i woke up on time-as always- and did what i needed and put my armor on quickly and efficiently. I kept my routine brisk and short with the necessities. I grabbed my staff but then paused, looking at myself in the mirror before i put my mask on. I saw my scar on my left cheek and the slice through my right ear. I tried to push back the hair strand that always got in the way and like always it fell right back into place. I sighed and stared at my magenta eyes that were sunken and accessorized with deep eye bags. I swallowed, hard, reminding myself the mission i was going on.

You cant fail. Not again, you can be useful if you just prove it. This is an opportunity that Belos gave you to replenish your reputation with him. Just do this quickly and she wont be a problem. Quickly and efficiently even if those are two words the Amethyst Guard doesn't understand... Its one rouge witch, how hard can it really be?

I placed my mask back on, admiring my reflection the best i could. With the mask on i was the Golden Guard, the youngest witch to become one. I could do this. 

I have to be able to do this.

So here I was that foggy Saturday morning as I borded the ship with the Amethyst Guard. She took another sip out of a coffee cup before throwing it in the trash and walking on.  She let out a yawn through her mask as i walked up to the steering pannel. 

"You can sit back and relax while i steer. You're obviously tired." I said just a hint of shade throwing at her as i began to ready up the ship.

She let out a small voice as if she was about to say something and then stopped sighing, "You know what. Knock yourself out Goldie. Someone needs to pinpoint sightings so were not on a wild goose chase anyway." She then turned, her black cloak drifting behind her as she walked into the captains rooms under the ship.  I rolled my eyes at her nickname and had to remind myself over and over that it was only one mission, one day, one witch. I couldn't mess this up, not now.

I looked out to the horizon as the fog surrounded the ship and the sky. I was so distracted by my thoughts i hadn't noticed the water vapor reflecting all of the colors from the sun onto the fog and the vapor around us. As i steered towards the knee in the sky i admired the sight. The colors of pink,red, orange, yellow, purple and colors in-between floated and danced around us as the morning sun blinded any darkness from the night away. The turning point of purple cool night into the yellow and vibrant day was gorgeous. I had seen it obviously before but not like this, not with this much depth. For a moment i took off my mask as i steered and took a breath through my nose, letting the morning air calm my nerves, even if just for a second. 

"Hey Lemon Boy-"

It was a very short second.

"Gah!" I yelped taking my eyes off the horizon and jumping back to see the Amethyst Guard looking at me with a map in hand. I cleared my throat and quickly put my mask back on. "Yes? What is it?"

Your pov

I muttered a few profanities as i walked to the captains quarters. I could do this. Just work together and be home by tomorrow. Easy. The small room was dimly lit by candles with multiple coven sigils, maps of the boiling iles, etc... We had been left a file with sighting of where she had been, and form that i can calculate the area she's most likely to be. I Walked over to a drawr and looked through the maps, finding one specifically for the knee. I opened the file, tracing my gloved finger across the coordinates she had been spotted at, a few said what she was spotted doing but most just said she was spotted, put up a fight, and got away. 

That definitely makes me feel confident. 

After a few minutes i had circled the places she had been in red, then outlined the surrounding area in yellow and then the perimeter of the outermost of where she had been found. At that point i noticed it was the peak of the sunrise as i walked out, turning down the candles on the way out. I shut the door quietly, the map in my hand as i turned around and noticed the Golden Guard lost in thought, and there he was again. His sandy blond hair danced on the wind that blew his hood down. i spotted that his mask was down by his hand on the wheel. I made my way up carefully and quietly. For some reason i wanted to see his face again, and as i made my way up i did. His eyes were closed and his head was tilted up slightly. The warm colors of the sun rise made his skin glow, he seemed almost peaceful and in that moment for a split second i remembered that he was my age. He was a sixteen year old boy. A teenager with a  lot of responsibilities just like i had. Though it only lasted for a second when i remembered the map i had in my hand. 

I cleared my throat, "Hey Lemon Boy"

i was cut off by a gasp and a stumbling back from him. He quickly placed his mask back on-again the teenage part of me missing his face- and cleared his throat.  "Yes, what is it?" 

I motioned to the map in my hand, "I got the perimeter marked out. We can check where she was sighted first and then make our way around the area." I cleared my throat again, shoving down the teenage girl part of me that wanted to fan girl over any attractive guy she saw. I kept having to remind myself who this "guy" was. "It'll increase our chances of finding her faster, i mean unless you want to spend more time with me?" I said half joking, deciding that if we had to work together, i might as well make it less awkward. 

He nodded, just nodded. 

Who the fuck just nods???

"Okay, awesome," I stood next to him silently as he steered the ship. 

"So.... uh, Nice sun rise this morning huh?" I asked, a pathetic attempt at socializing with someone who hates me.

He glanced at the sunrise again before looking at the wheel again, "yea."

BRO

I pursed my lips and inhaled sharply, i stood awkwardly glancing at the map again and then rolling it back. 

"How do you feel about... sports.?" I asked, knowing damn well i knew nothing about it. Again, trying to make small talk with the person who hates me.

As if he could sense my awkwardness- or felt awkward too- quickly changed the subject by saying, "The knee is a few hundred feet ahead, ready yourself for landing."

Oh thank Titan.