Replaceable

Scared of the dark - Lil Wayne, TY Dollar $ign,XXXTENTACION

Your pov

We stood at the edge of the lake- or what shouldve been the lake- as I watched hunter eyes go panicked.
He quickly ran down to the bottom and began to to furiously dig without stopping to the point his gloves began to wear down.
I ran down after him and heasitently walked up to him, I took notice that for once he didn't look perfect and cocky and put together, he was at his breaking point.

And I was witnessing it.

"Hunter...." I paused wanting to touch his shoulder to assure him it was okay but when I tried to look at his position, and if I were in the same spot, it wouldn't be.

"Hunter there's gotta be more titian blood I-" I began but was interrupted by the sound of a familiar female witch entering the cave.

I quickly stood up and readied my staff but Hunters voice quickly stopped me.

"Don't worry. We won't pick a fight. There's no titian blood," he said defeated. I quickly looked at him shocked, was this seriously the Golden Guard? The guy that I've hated for forever, the cocky arrogant and pushy and... not this..

Why was he giving up?

The purple haired girl let her guard down for a moment as the rat dog stood next to her, "then why are you digging?"

He turned to her, his hair dirty and a mess, "oh! It's simple really, Belos needs titian blood to make a new portal key, can't get to the human rhelm without it!" He said before he went back to digging, I turned to face hunter as boots asked- or confirmed- there was blood in the key.

"Since I failed my last mission and now I'm stuck with duo missions as a punishment for my incompetence I thought hey! A chance to redeem myself! But I can't go back empty handed!" He said before doing a weak laugh.

He was loosing it.

"Not again." He said somberly before digging again, "long story short this is mah grave. Want me to make you guys one too?" He asked with a psychotic looking smile.

"This is... really bumming me out..." the rat said slowly.

Honestly same.?

"That's just life rat." Hunter said quickly, "everybody has a use and if you don't buhbye!!"

Then I noticed the red palismen fly down from a hiding spot and begin to chirp and pull at Hunters hair like it was encouraging him to get up, to keep going.

Weird.

He shooed it away, "Go find a better witch to be with," he then covered his hair with dirt and I knelt down next to him and the I looked at the girl again. I didn't know what to do or say.

But apparently the girl did as she walked up next to me as I knelt down to him and began to talk, "you know.. we have a lot in common, i grew up thinking everything was an opportunity to justify... existing! But there's people who won't make you feel worthless..." she smiled softly and offered her hand to him.

Hunters pov:

As the blight spoke I felt myself consider what she was saying, not make me feel worthless? It was a small phrasing she used that stayed and caught my attention as I looked up at her. I looked to her hand but then I saw it.

A key around her neck but not just any key, THE portal key.

"What are you-?" She asked but then looked down and quickly readied herself.